× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and Geo Filter

Subbububbu
Guide

Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and Geo Filter

Hi, 

I live in a region without Dedicated Servers for Black Ops 4, and frequently used the Geo-filter function previously in CoD WWII successfully. 

I've run into a big snag when it comes to Black Ops 4, though; While my NAT type is still open, I start to search for a game lobby only to eventually receive the message that the "lobby is not joinable". This problem goes away when I shift to Spectate mode, albeit with mad amounts of ping (obviously). 

Is there any fix to this? I'm unable to enjoy the multiplayer experience 😞 I use a 300 Mbps up and down connection with sub 10 ms ping levels and I am generally able to play the game, so it's not the network. 

Any help would be graciously received!

P.S. - Sometimes the error is "there are too many players in your party" when I try to search for a game with other people in my party. 

TL;DR - XR500's Geo Filter doesn't seem to be working in Black Ops 4 Multiplayer (Non-BlackOut)

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where are you located and where are you placing your Geo-Filter in order to try and get a game as well as what radius?
Message 2 of 26
dekuNET
Aspirant

Im in Cali and have my radius set to 2644 Miles. From the looks of it theres a couple different servers that are on the east coast.

Message 3 of 26
Subbububbu
Guide

Hi, 

I'm in South West India, with my location set exactly to my province and the radius set at 3000 kilometers. 

Typically, we seem to be logging on to Middle Eastern servers with pings in excess of 120 ms. With the geo-filter on, it's impossible to get an Indian lobby even though I know of many players in my country. It's also worked brilliantly in the past for WWII, but it's a no-show with Blops 4. 😞

Message 4 of 26
Subbububbu
Guide

Thanks, bud; but I'm way, way off from Cali 🙂 

Message 5 of 26
dekuNET
Aspirant

Only thing that I can think of is max out your radius then see what server(s) you connect to, and add them to your allowed list. I say this because BO4 might not be running on the same servers as WWII or any other COD game.

Message 6 of 26
Subbububbu
Guide

That's the irony - Back here ALL connections are peer to peer, there's no question of a dedicated server 😞

I really miss my sub 50 ms ping days of WWII. 

Message 7 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There are no servers in India as far as I am aware. The closest servers would be Saudi Arabia, Singapore or Russia. Try to get one of those and find out which gives you the lowest ping.
Message 8 of 26
Subbububbu
Guide

Thanks, Fraser, but that's the thing, and maybe this is a benefit of the Geo-filter that isn't touted enough, but the Filter works even when one needs to find a peer-Host for a game (without a Dedicated Server)! Worked brilliantly for CoD WWII.

I guess we're just going to have to pray that this is a bug with the game and that Treyarch fixes it soon. Any help in the meantime would be great.  

Message 9 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not sure if they are using P2P at the moment so it's hard to say whether its possible or not to do it at this stage. Usually they prioritize servers over P2P.
Message 10 of 26
Subbububbu
Guide

I think you're right - this game may be using only Dedicated Servers thus leading to my problem. Thanks for all your time! I'll keep this thread posted in case there are any developments 🙂

Message 11 of 26
Subbububbu
Guide

Re: Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and Geo Filter [UPDATE]

Hi!

Apart from the revelations online that Treyarch downgraded the server tick rate to 20hz on release (irrelevant to this post, I know), it turns out that unlike WWII (Which used Listen servers for India FOR SURE), Black Ops 4 DOES use only Dedicated Servers (apart from some sources that tell me Listen Servers are still prevalent).

Nevertheless, my Geo Filter didn't work, that is, until I turned 'Strict Mode' off, denied access to all the Middle Eastern and European Servers, and have allowed my router only to connect to the Singapore Dedicated Servers. Still get ~ 100 ms of ping, but hey, that's still better and gives me some degree of control unlike earlier. 

Hope this helps! Will post with any updates if I get any. 

Message 12 of 26
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thank you for the update. In the UK we are seeing Treyarch occasionally roll out peer hosting in Multiplayer - I suspect to manage to the load on their servers, so it's possible you will see this too. However, Dedicated Servers are the overwhelming host of choice.

Message 13 of 26
Subbububbu
Guide

That's amazing to hear for someone who is in India, by the way; Listen Servers work beautifully for us because a large set of metropolitan cities here support good bandwidth and ping parameters. There's always the cry of 'Host Advantage', though :') 

Message 14 of 26
defiled669
Apprentice

black ops 4 there is a europian sever thats on the very west of the continent that i am pinging to, im in nc usa, i cant block this server and it always connects me to this server reguardless of my geofilter. is there another way to block this server, ccb9b580566b1d22 this server is unblockable
Message 15 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does it have a circle around it? If so that is a whitelisted server required for online authentication. It is not your game server so don't worry about it. The game server will be within your radius.
Message 16 of 26
Stevecook
Apprentice

I have the same issue with the xr500. If I have it in filter mode will not find a match. Lobby not joinable. If I put on specting funds a match instantly. I live on the east coast. But it connects to peer not dedicated. There is a dedicated server 200 miles from house put. Connects peer.
Message 17 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What have you got your radius set to? You should definitely be able to force a game on the east coast. Its likely a dedicated server just misclassified as a peer on the Geo-Filter which we can update, that won't affect your connection.
Message 18 of 26
Stevecook
Apprentice

The game uses listen servers and dedicated servers. I have allowed dedicated servers that show up. Then couple games later the server does not show up on the map and it's connecting to listen servers.
Seems like the listen server is in same location as the dedicated it just says peer but has different ID than the dedicated. Luckily I do not have the high ping though. Just will not connect to anything with the geo filer on filtering. I think it's bo4.
Message 19 of 26
Stevecook
Apprentice

Radius is set to 400 miles. I can find a game if geo is on spectating but in filter mode will not. The host is named peer. It is in same location as the dedicated server I play on sometimes but has a different ID number than the dedicated one.
Message 20 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Theres many servers located in the same cluster, they're likely just misclassified as peers on the Geo-Filter which can be updated, doesn't affect your connection.

I'd recommend you'd raise that to 650miles. Also do the following:
Remove device from Geo-Filter
Quit game to dashboard compeltely or hard turn off console
Flush cloud on Geo-Filter
Add device to Geo-Filter
Set Geo-Filter radius/location
Boot up console/game, should be able to get a game
Message 21 of 26
Stevecook
Apprentice

That worked. Thanks.
Message 22 of 26
Subbububbu
Guide

Sadly, even with the fresh flush and adding the console again, Geo-filters don't seem to work for India - the error is always 'Lobby not joinable' 5-6 seconds after searching for a game. 

Like I said, works completely fine for WWII but not for BO4 - very sad state of affairs 😞

Message 23 of 26
Sayan
Aspirant

Where r u live in india bro?
Message 24 of 26
Jamalkennedy
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem cant connect to lobby and cant work voice chat when I switch it to spectate it's fine but with mad ping and I have 360mb up and down and I cant seem to change my geo to my location unless it already is please help
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7