× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to work VPN server with new XR500

drake8602
Star

Can't connect to work VPN server with new XR500

Swapped out my N600 with a new Nighthawk XR500. Everything is up and connected now but when I go to connect to my VPN for my work from home, I'm unable to connect. The work laptop connects to everything else just fine. Doesn't make a difference whether i'm wired or wireless. Tried a reset of modem/router. When I switch back to the N600, my VPN connects just fine on the same laptop.

Spectrum Modem>XR500>Laptop via 5Ghz

Firmware is version XR500 V2.3.2.32.... the laptop is Win10.

Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Please provide some more information - "my VPN for my work" is not very informative. What kind of VPN, what kind of software installed (if any), ... for the work VPN?

Message 2 of 10
drake8602
Star

Cisco Any Connect VPN using RSA SecurID Authentication. Didn't figure it was software side on the laptop since it works just fine with the N600.

Message 3 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If you connect the same laptop to your modem, can you connect to your VPN that way? The reason I ask is if you can connect through that too then the issue is definitely on the XR500.

I think you're probably best off giving NETGEAR's official support a call - they should be able to walk you through getting this sorted: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

But in case you cannot get a resolution through them, I would recommend trying this:

1. Put your modem into modem mode or bridge mode
  2. Make sure UPNP is enabled on your XR500
  3. In >Settings >WAN Settings - set your Nat Filtering to Open

I'm not sure if this will work, but it may fix your issue (my thought is that the ports you need are not being opened to allow your work VPN to connect).

May also be worth asking for help from your work's IT team (if they have one)

Message 4 of 10
drake8602
Star

Thanks Jack - I will try to the suggested, I appreciate the feedback. 

I am also bringing a completely different laptop home from work to try, to rule out an issue on the laptop. 

Message 5 of 10
drake8602
Star

Nat Filtering is Open, Modem is in Bridge Mode, and UPnP is on. It works with the modem plugged in directly as well as with the N600 hooked up to the modem. I've tried wireless and wired, no difference. The laptop I brought home tonight is a fresh Windows 10 load with updated firmware/software/etc.

Message 6 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for trying my suggestions. Do you know the port your VPN server needs you to open? 

You may want to give NETGEAR's official support a call too, as they'll be experienced at fixing things like this: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 7 of 10
drake8602
Star

I am logging a ticket with my works helpdesk today to see if they have any client side instructions for connecting from home. I also logged a ticket with Netgear as well. I appreciate the feedback. 

Message 8 of 10
drake8602
Star

OK here is the solution from Netgear that solved my issue: 

We have a new firmware update releases recently, could you please update the new firmware using the below link and check,https://kb.netgear.com/000060464/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-40 Once updated to the new firmware please let us know the status. Looking forward for your response. It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day! Sincerely, Vijay, NETGEAR support

New features and enhancements:

• Added the Hybrid VPN feature, which replaces the VPN client feature.
  • Added the VPN provider PureVPN to the Hybrid VPN feature.
  • Added the ping assist feature to the Geo Filter.
  • Added advanced ping stats to the auto ping dashboard.
Message 9 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Awesome - thanks for letting us know.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7