× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect with old modem/router in bridge mode

MrTwisties
Aspirant

Can't connect with old modem/router in bridge mode

Recently bought a fancy new XR500 and want to put my old Archer CR700 into bridge mode so it functions exclusively as a modem.

Unfortunately, every time I do that the router loses its connection to the internet. (Note that if I connect a PC or PS4 directly the Archer CR700 in bridge mode, it works great).

Currently I'm making do by turning the wireless off on the Archer CR700 so it doesn't get distracted by routing duties. But I'd prefer to turn off its router functionality entirely.

Does anyone have any advice about how to fix this?

DETAILS
Archer CR700 Hardware v1.1  Firmware v1.1.0 build 20160812
Netgear XR500 Firmware v2.3.2.22V2.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi MrTwisties,

I would recommend doing these steps:

1. Set the CR700 into bridge modem

2. Power off both the XR500 and CR700

3. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the CR700

4. Wait 60 seconds, then power on the XR500

5. Wait 60 seconds, then see if you have Internet when connecting through the XR500 

If everything is working, great, otherwise I recommend going onto your XR500 user interface (routerlogin.net). Then go to >Settings >Administration >Backup settings. Then click 'Erase'. This will factory reset the XR500. Wait for the factory reset to complete, and then follow the welcome tour again. This time it should be able to pick up an Internet connection from your Archer

Hopefully this works but let us know if not!

Message 2 of 4
MrTwisties
Aspirant

Thanks Jack

This struck me as being quite similar to the initial installation process (power everything off, then turn the modem back on first and finally the router), which I went through a few times before posting here. Sure enough, trying it again hasn't made much difference!

I think I'll go out and pick up a new cable modem, see if that helps.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If bridge mode isn't working then instead of purchasing a new modem put the XR500 in it's DMZ. Disable any port forwards/UPnP on the Archer and keep wifi disabled on it.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7