× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can’t get right speed

cjbutterfly
Guide

Can’t get right speed

Hi , I need help pls .
I have a hub 3 200 speed virgin package I have connected the xr500 to the router but with the hub I get 200 speed and with xr500 I get 78 ?
Can anyone help me understand why it makes it so bad and what I can do to fix it pls
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 15
cjbutterfly
Guide

Thank you for your reply , I am sorry I wish I knew more about the routers but I’m just a mom trying to sort ping issues out for her kids :0
I think I kind of understand what your saying though , the virgin hub 3 is the standard router and the netgear xr500 is connected via Ethernet to it . When I turn the virgin hub into modem only the netgear won’t work ? says no internet . I called netgear when I purchased it and they couldn’t figure out why so said to keep the hub as normal and use both but I am getting so much interference in the WiFi signal , a virgin engineer came out and did something to create two channels one said 2g and the other 5g which helped a little but the 2g connection was poop and now I have reset the router to try and gain better internet it’s deleted what he did so I’m in a bit of a pickle
Message 3 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The WiFi interference can be fixed by disabling the WiFi on the Virgin hub. For speed, are your expected speeds entered into the Anti-Bufferbloat options (looks like 3 stacked lines) on the QoS page?
Message 4 of 15
cjbutterfly
Guide

Yes it finds the speeds automatically when I set up the router shows as expected 219 but only ever gives me 79 through the netgear option if I click on virgin I get around 179 to 200 . I didn’t know I could turn off the WiFi on the virgin hub I will look at that now thank you
Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact your ISP and have them help you get the ISP modem configured correctly for one of the options suggested for use with the XR router. 

Message 6 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable smart connect on the XR500 and connect to the 5GHz that should give you higher speeds. Once WiFi is disabled on Virgin then they should both give you better speeds.
Message 7 of 15
cjbutterfly
Guide

Thanks I did have an engineer out and he was baffled by it all as soon as you connect the netgear router the speed halves no matter what he did he said to ask netgear but they don’t know either 😞
Message 8 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Keep us posted, let us know if those suggestions work!
Message 9 of 15
cjbutterfly
Guide

Right it gets stranger ! I have now realised that’s its only my iPhone that is getting bad WiFi every other device is reaching max speeds but iPhone is now at 20 mbps , I can’t watch you tube or twitch it won’t even buffer a stream , any ideas why just my phone is suffering ? . Thanks
Message 10 of 15
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Hmm... Have you tried seperating the 2.4 and 5GHz channels? The iPhone might be being connected to the wrong band, causing lower speeds.

Message 11 of 15
cjbutterfly
Guide

Yes I have done that but then everything in the house can only seem to connect to the 2.4 then and the speeds on that are roughly 50 mbps 😞
I can’t seem to win it’s bizarre !
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable the 2.4Ghz radio on the XR router, leaving the 5Ghz radio running? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 13 of 15
cjbutterfly
Guide

I haven’t tried that option yet I will try it when I get home and let you know thank you
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7