× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't setup nighthawk Xr500 on Virgn

Nobbythered1
Aspirant

Can't setup nighthawk Xr500 on Virgn

I've purchased a nighthawk xr500 from eBay. I've followed my videos on YouTube before making the purchase on how to set the router with virgin. I've put my vm router into modem mode and connected the xr500 to the modem via ethernet cable when I search for a WiFi signal I get two signals from the nighthawk but when I use the password that's on the bottom of the router it doesn't work and the connection names are different from what's written on the bottom of the xr500.
I've done a rest on the xr500 and I still can't pick up the right signal or even use the password shown underneath ee the xr500.
Any help will much appreciated thanks
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: Can't setup nighthawk Xr500 on Virgn

Hi Nobby - the previous owner must have changed the passwords from their default. You have two options:

Option 1 - manually edit the password:

1. Connect an ethernet cable into a LAN port on the router and connect the other end into a PC 
  2. Open a browser and go to routerlogin.net
  3. You should then see a pop up requesting a username and password. The default is 'admin' and 'password'
  4. If this works, you will then be on the interface. Go to >Settings >Wireless Setup - you can change the password there
  5. If this doesn't work, try option 2

Option 2 - Factory Reset using the pin at the back

This will reset your router back to defaults, including the wifi passwords. Please follow this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Nobby - the previous owner must have changed the passwords from their default. You have two options:

Option 1 - manually edit the password:

1. Connect an ethernet cable into a LAN port on the router and connect the other end into a PC 
  2. Open a browser and go to routerlogin.net
  3. You should then see a pop up requesting a username and password. The default is 'admin' and 'password'
  4. If this works, you will then be on the interface. Go to >Settings >Wireless Setup - you can change the password there
  5. If this doesn't work, try option 2

Option 2 - Factory Reset using the pin at the back

This will reset your router back to defaults, including the wifi passwords. Please follow this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

Message 2 of 6
Nobbythered1
Aspirant

Thanks a lot this as worked brilliantly 😁
Message 3 of 6
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

No problem!

Message 4 of 6
Nobbythered1
Aspirant

I've got everything working in fine order now just when I connect anything to the xr500 via ethernet cable I'm getting a red light and no connection and ideas
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try different ethernet cables, if that doesn't work its possibly you were sold a router with faulty ports. However, just double check that DHCP is enabled and handing out IP addresses to devices, if not then a connected device wouldn't get a connection if you did not manually put in the details.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7