× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't unblock a device

Andyj986
Follower

Can't unblock a device

Hi all, I purchased you Nighthawk XR700 router. I’m quite happy with it except for one issue. 

I’m experiencing only one major issue with it, I think it may be more of a DumaOS software issue.

Here’s what’s happening, 
When using the nighthawk iOS app, and I block/pause a devices internet using the app over 4G/LTE connection via remote access, it works flawlessly.

When I log into the router via localhost when I get home to unblock/unpause the devices internet, is shows as a black icon meaning it’s internet has been paused. When I use the DumaOS to unpause that device I click on “unblock” and the device icon in the network tree turns back to red, showing it’s now unblocked. 

It turns out that the devices internet is still blocked and I can not use internet on that device anymore. 

I’ve tried rebooting the XR700,  rebooting the device, using the nighthawk app, and also the netgear genie app which all show the device is unblocked, but it’s not. 

This has happened before with another device, which I found out that if you block the device using the nighthawk app via 4G/LTE you need to use the same app and 4G connection to unblock the device, which works.

If I use the app to block a device, then use the DumaOS  via local host to unblock it, it won’t work. So I have to block it again in the DumaOS software in the modem, then revert back to the nighthawk app to then unblock the device which works.

In conclusion, if blocking a device on the app it needs to be unblocked on the same app. Not on another platform.

Having said that, no matter what I do now I’m unable to unblock the device.

I’ve also tried forgetting the Wi-Fi access point on the device that can not be unblocked, and reconnecting to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz access points with no success. 

It’s now getting frustrating, not being able to use that device, which is a Wi-Fi only iPad.

I know that factory resetting the XR700 will solve the issue as ive done this before on two occasions for the same reason, but i really dont want to continuiously reset it everytime i need to block a device.

Regards,
Andy

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Andy, I've just responded your same post on our forum. I'll paste what I said there here as well:
Thanks for bringing this issue to light, I think this should be an easy one for the team to replicate given your instructions. I will pass it on to them now to reproduce. If you use the app when connected to the router WiFi does that change how it performs? I would also suggest doing a factory reset at this stage, I know it's not ideal but it's the easiest way to get you back up and running.
Message 2 of 6
CyberGator
Aspirant

I have the same problem with an iPhone that I blocked via the mobile app, and now cannot get back on the network via mobile app, or desktop with wired connection via browser. I even turned off the iPhone, deleted the device from the router, turned the iPhone back on and tried to get on 5G, still blocked. 

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've responded to you on the Netduma forum but What happens when you try to unblock the device via the app or via the interface?
Message 4 of 6
CyberGator
Aspirant

The app or the website show the unblock as successful and Saved, but it doesn’t work.
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not sure why that has happened really, obviously a miscommunication with the app and router. I know you don't want to do a factory reset but I think this will be best for now as I believe it will require testing and developers to take a look. I'll message the team and ask them to test.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7