× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you connecting XR500 to XR300 wirelessly?

CoolestJake
Guide

Can you connecting XR500 to XR300 wirelessly?

Hello, I have a XR500 connected to a gateway. I just recently got a XR300 from a friend and I want to put it downstairs so I can get a better connection downstairs. I know that you can put it in AP mode but that has to have a Ethernet connection. I looked up how to connect them wirelessly but couldn’t find anyway to make it work. Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CoolestJake
Guide

Re: Can you connecting XR500 to XR300 wirelessly?

So then I’m guessing because the xr300 doesn’t have a wireless repeater that I can’t connect them wirelessly and when I look in the settings for the XR500 it doesn’t seem to have a wireless repeating mode either. If I’m correct then the only way would be to run a ethernet cable through the floor?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The XR300 doesn't have a repeater/extender mode. 

You could always try connecting them via powerline or moca adapters (powerline over coax) with the XR300 in ap mode. 

Message 2 of 11
CoolestJake
Guide

So the way the house is wired the up and down stairs don’t allow me to use those. So the only way would to cut a hole in the floor and run a Ethernet cable but I just wanted to see if I could connect it wirelessly first and thank you for the fast response.
Message 3 of 11

@CoolestJake wrote:
So the way the house is wired the up and down stairs don’t allow me to use those.

It has completely separate electrical circuits? That's all you need with Powerline.

That's a strange one. Never heard of that before. Are you sure?

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

I've seen it with homes that setup the basement for a seperate living quarters to rent out. Or for a mother in law suite in the basement. 

Not common but does happen. 

Message 5 of 11
CoolestJake
Guide

Ya I’m sure because I tryed it with my computer I put the router downstairs plug everything in and it showed it work but it wasn’t actually receiving the internet.
Message 6 of 11
CoolestJake
Guide

So then I’m guessing because the xr300 doesn’t have a wireless repeater that I can’t connect them wirelessly and when I look in the settings for the XR500 it doesn’t seem to have a wireless repeating mode either. If I’m correct then the only way would be to run a ethernet cable through the floor?
Message 7 of 11

@CoolestJake wrote:
Ya I’m sure because I tryed it with my computer I put the router downstairs plug everything in and it showed it work but it wasn’t actually receiving the internet.

Tried what with your computer?

That tells us nothing about your mains circuit.

Message 8 of 11
CoolestJake
Guide

I hooked up a power line adapter downstairs to the router(XR500) and the went upstairs and plugged in another powerline adapter into the wall and synced them like the directions said and connected the Ethernet cable to my pc and the pc was getting no internet and when I talked to my dad he said that they are to different circuits. To make sure it wasn’t the powerline adapters I took my pc downstairs and did the same thing and it worked fine. I tryed it a couple time in different locations and had no luck.
Message 9 of 11

OK. That's a much clearer explanation. You tried with Powerline and it failed!

Your experiment seems pretty thorough. It rules out some of the "can't connect" events that can trip people up. Sometimes, actually quite often, it is because they haven't set up their PCs properly. You've ruled that out.

If you can get powerline to work in one room and then move the plug to a different mains socket and it doesn't work, that's a pretty clear indicator that the mains circuit is the issue.

Is there anywhere in the house that you could use Powerline to feed the second router and the use the wifi from that location? Not perfect, but maybe it could spread the wifi a bit further.

Message 10 of 11
CoolestJake
Guide

Their is a wall port near the stairs I could mount the router on the wall and try that it would at least make the router closer to the down stairs and the signal would be much better because their aren’t really any more walls to go through. The only problem is because it is in the center of the 2 floors it still could me connected to the down stair electrical system. It would be worth trying tho. And thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7