× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Login Via Browser - XR500

yootzee
Aspirant

Cannot Login Via Browser - XR500

To the admins, sorry if there is more than one post of this.  My internet connection when down in the middle of submit, and it looks like there are duplicates.

Greetings,

I'm attempting to login to my XR500 via the browser interface, and failing everytime.  Unit is 2 plus yrs old.

Attempted with Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Edge Dev, and Brave via three boxes, both wired and wireless via http / https.  Usuall items like history / cache cleared.  No browser extensions or ad blockers.  Android app works fine.

When attempting connection, just prompts for username/pwd, and eventually times out taking me to the reset pwd page.  I went ahead and went through the process once, and in addtion to the no login problem, one of my security questions was completly different than what I setup.  Fortunatly, I was able to answer both correctly.

Even after reset, no go.  Android app, still working though.

Anyone seen this and happen to have any recommendations?

Thanks

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No worries! Are you trying to connect using routerlogin.net or the LAN IP? Is there any difference in which one you use? You may need to do a factory reset by holding the reset button for 30 seconds, releasing then waiting 2 minutes before you access.
Message 2 of 8
yootzee
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Fraser. I'm connecting directly to the router IP, when connecting via browser.  If connecting via the Nighthawk app through my android phone, the connection / management is fine.  I realize the standard is to recommend a factory reset.  However, it isn't a good time for me as i'm looking at spending a couple of hours setting up devices and custom settings (i.e. mac filtering, schedules) on the router again.  The last config backup I have is pretty old, so I believe a good bit has changed.

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the information!

Is there any difference if you try to access the interface using routerlogin.net?

Is the device you're trying to access it on connected to the XR via wired or wireless? If wired, are you able to access it via wireless? In theory this shouldn't make a difference, I'm just curious as to why it works fine on a mobile device.

Message 4 of 8
yootzee
Aspirant

I primarily use a hardwired connection.  But, was trying it via wireless as well.  Both were failing. The only reason I can think of as to why I don't have a problem connecting via mobile is mabye something browser based.  My phone is using the nighthawk app.  Other than that, I use my netgear account via the nighthawk app vs. the local Admin account.

Concerning routerlogin.net option.  On my hardwired system, no matter what I do, Firefox will redirect me to https://www.netgear.com/home/services/routerlogincom.html.  Via Chrome, it'll resolve to the router.  I'm prompted three seperate times for username / pwd, then I get into the mgmt console successfully. Same on my wireless laptop. Via Chrome, I'm prompted three times, then get into mgmt console.  So, I'm not sure what that's all about.  But, I get there so...

I've never used the routerlogin.net fqdn previously, and used direct IP.  didn't even know (or remember) it was an option until now.

As much as I hate to do it, at some point I'll do a hard reset on the unit and reconfigure.  I just don't have time to do it right now.

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When did it first occur and do you recall changing any settings at all? You could make a new config when you manage to get on, do a reset and then restore it. The issue is you could bring back the issue by restoring the config.
Message 6 of 8
yootzee
Aspirant

Hard to say exaclty how long the problem may have been there.  I haven't logged to the mgmt console in two or three months at least.  I've had to restart the router a couple of times becuase my hardwired connections stopped comms. But, haven't changed any settings in 6 months. Things on my LAN don't change much, so once I get everthing setup and tweaked, I rarly mess with it.  The only reason I was logging in yesterday when this started is that I'm dropping packets big time over the last week, and I need to start figuring out if its the routher or ISP.  I agree with you on the config.  I've already made a backup.  But, when I do a reset, I'll just take some screen shots and hand jam everything back in.  I've just gotta work around work schedules.

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's fair enough, unfortunately there are no settings that influence the ability to login that you can change.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7