× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot change IP address in the XR500

TrubbleMaker
Tutor

Cannot change IP address in the XR500

Hi guys

I'm new to the XR500 device.
I cannot change the default IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1

The router is running Firmware Version 2.3.2.134.

When I change the IP address to 10.1 I get a message telling me to do a /release & /renew and then it tells me the device will be disconnected while the router gets the new IP address and then I get an error message: "400 Bad request. This server does not support the operation requested by your client."
Appreciate your time. 😁

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TrubbleMaker
Tutor

UPDATE: It's almost 2:00AM here at the epicentre of the known universe (Sydney, Australia...  where God LIVES!!) 

My brain is now officially mush and I have no idea how I did it, but I managed to get the IP address changed and it stuck!! WOOOHOOO!  😁 

I know somewhere in there I flashed the firmware twice and also did two factory resets. 

After the second factory reset, I managed to get the change in the IP to stick and not bring up the 'Bad Gateway' error but then it hung while rebooting so I manually rebooted the the router and then found the change had finally worked.

I know I should have kept better notes of what I did but after fartarsing around for waaaaay too many hours I was well and truly over it.

Thank you all for your your suggestions , your time and your patience. 

Cheers

Charlton  🙂

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

After this happens, what do you need to do to gain access to the interface again?

When you receive this message, have you tried going to 192.168.10.1 in your web browser? If not try it, are you then met with the DumaOS interface again?

Message 2 of 9
TrubbleMaker
Tutor

"After this happens, what do you need to do to gain access to the interface again?

When you receive this message, have you tried going to 192.168.10.1 in your web browser? If not try it, are you then met with the DumaOS interface again?"

I tried to get to 10.1 in the browser and got: "This site can’t be reached"
I also can't ping 10.1

I can still get to the DumaOS via the default IP address.

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

What browser are you trying to do this from? A 400 error would suggest it's a client side issue so we should start there. Does it work if you use an incognito/private window to do this? Or perhaps a different browser all together?

Message 4 of 9
TrubbleMaker
Tutor

"What browser are you trying to do this from? A 400 error would suggest it's a client side issue so we should start there. Does it work if you use an incognito/private window to do this? Or perhaps a different browser all together?"

I've tried Chrome and Brave

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try changing the address to 192.168.0.1 in MS Edge? I know this works on my XR450.

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Good suggestion above, also, just to check, what is the IP to access the modem the XR is connected to?
Message 7 of 9
TrubbleMaker
Tutor

UPDATE: It's almost 2:00AM here at the epicentre of the known universe (Sydney, Australia...  where God LIVES!!) 

My brain is now officially mush and I have no idea how I did it, but I managed to get the IP address changed and it stuck!! WOOOHOOO!  😁 

I know somewhere in there I flashed the firmware twice and also did two factory resets. 

After the second factory reset, I managed to get the change in the IP to stick and not bring up the 'Bad Gateway' error but then it hung while rebooting so I manually rebooted the the router and then found the change had finally worked.

I know I should have kept better notes of what I did but after fartarsing around for waaaaay too many hours I was well and truly over it.

Thank you all for your your suggestions , your time and your patience. 

Cheers

Charlton  🙂

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7