× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chrome cast

Alexander_
Aspirant

Chrome cast

XR500 - - Hi,

The situation:
- Use a Google chrome browser on a laptop (connects using 2.4GHz).
- Want to cast to the TV, a Sony Bravia with an Android operation system (connects using 5GHz)
Chrome casting used to work with a TP-Link router, but now it does not work with my new Netgrear XR500 Nighthawk router. The TV cannot be found by the Chrome browser when using casting. When I ask for help the message is to disable AP Isolation on the router or have the TV communicate on the 2.4GHz bandwith of the router. I prefer not to have the TV set to this bandwith, but let the TV and the router choose the best way to communicate (that is why I bought a relatively expensive router.)

Which settings on the XR500 do I need to set in order to make it possible to use Chrome casting from a laptop to a tv?

Kind Regards,
Alexander

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: Chrome cast

Hi Alex - do you have smart connect enabled in WiFi settings? This lets the router and connecting device which is the best channel. Try using that and see if it works.

I assume if they're both on 2.4GHz then it works?

Message 2 of 9
Alexander_
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Smart connect was already enabled.

Regarding connecting the TV using 2.4GHz . I looked for a way to control that via the router, to just disable the 5GHz channel, but I could not find it. Any ideas how I do that on the router?

Still it did not answer my question, because I do not want to keep my TV on the 2.4GHz channel 🙂

Regards,

Alexander

Message 3 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If you go into settings and then Wireless Setup there’s an option for Smart connect there. Disable this and you’ll now see two SSiDs - one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz

See if you can chromecast now they’re both split. It’s not something I’ve ever had to do so not sure if it works. You could also try contacting Netgear official support if it does not work:

https://www.netgear.com/support/
Message 4 of 9
Alexander_
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried yesterday and got the TV on the 2.4GHz channel (as you suggested, only you also have to change the SSID for the 5 GHz channel. By the way, there are no possibilities to control the channel on the TV :-)). Still it did not work. Sorry I did not post that yesterday. Also I already created a case at Netgear support on the 30th of June, no respons yet, not even that somebody is looking into it. (Since I  am involved in IT as my daily job, I am pretty sure that their architect/lead developer knows why this is happening and what can be done about it, probably there needs to be a software adjustment, let's see what Netgear will come up with). By the way, if you have any connections in that development department, feel free to tell them about my case, I am pretty sure I am not the only one that wants to Chrome cast from a laptop to an Android TV.

I will try 2 more things:

1. put my previous TP link router back and see if that still works to rule out any changes on the laptop.

2. try using the guest network, because that has a setting making it possible to 'see' any devices that are connected to the LAN.

I do not know if I get around to it today, might be that I will try these options next week, since there are other activities on the agenda.

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't think the WiFi is the issue. Could be IGMP Snooping needs to be enabled in WAN Settings or it could be in QoS that your settings are too strict and not allowing enough bandwidth to the devices.
Message 6 of 9
Killhippie
Prodigy

I can cast from my iPad without issue using YouTube, and Chrome (horrible browser in my view I only use it for testing) The TV is not smart enough to work out wifi channels itself, the router does that but smart connect is not that smart. You need to separate the channels then name them separately, then set your TV up to be on the 5Ghz channel using the the new SSID you named for 5Ghz. (both wifi channels cant have the same name this way) but you have more control over what connects to what freqency this way. Not sure why you don't want 2.4Ghz as opposed to 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz travels further, but 5Ghz has more bandwidth but travels less distance as its a higher frequency. if both the laptop and the TV are on the same network it should all work, If your laptop is on a guest network and you have isolation on it wont connect.

I would suggest making sure your TV has the latest updates and maybe rebooting the TV by pressing the power button down on the remote until it powers down and restarts. Android TV's have great picture prowess but have woefully underpowered CPU's, I know I have a Sony AF8. Finally if your TV cant see the new 5Ghz channel it means its to weak a signal and you need to use 2.4Ghz or better still, Ethernet. Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 9
Alexander_
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions.

Indeed I did what you described yesterday. Disabled smartconnect, than created 2 SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5GHz to separate them. Since the laptop only accepts 2.4GHz (tried to get a new driver to get it to 5GHz, accoording to findings on the internet it should be able to handle that, but the new driver did not enable the 5GHz). There are no problems with the bandwidth by the way. Anyway, it still did not work.

I will try the reboot of the TV again, although I also did that yesterday. Try with the 'old' TP link router to make sure no security settings changed on the laptop. There is AVG running on it, maybe it is blocking the casting, although it did work just before I installed the XR500.

So leaves me with:

1. Trying with the 'old' TP Link router

2. Trying the guest network (with the setting enabled that a guest can access the LAN)

I will add rebooting the TV 🙂

Message 8 of 9
Killhippie
Prodigy

Can you try a test, disconnect from the Internet and disable your AV. The XR500 uses a DPI engine and its possible that its being blocked by the AV/Firewall I know Bitdefender in the early days caused issues. Try casting with it off and see if it helps. Also clear the cache of your browser too.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7