× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Computer(s) IP Address changes on Computer reboot?

ATTICUScc04
Aspirant

Computer(s) IP Address changes on Computer reboot?

I bought this Netgear router yesterday. I love the NetDuma OS so far. I am coming from an ASUS AC88U which I have used for a couple of years. One question that I have is this.

Every time I reboot my desktop PC it has a new IP address. Example. It started at XXX.XXX.X.4 and now it's gotten up to XXX.XX.X.32 this happens on both just a reboot of the computer and if I turn it off for any length of time.

My laptop will keep the same IP on reboots, but if I turn it off for say 5 min (to let it leave the online device manager and say offline) and then turn it back on it will have a different IP.

My iPhone, iPad, and Xbox One, if I turn them off and leave them off till they leave the device manager and then turn them back on they keep the same IP and do not switch to a new one like the PC or Laptop.

The only reason I ask is because the IP address on all my devices when using the ASUS router never changed in the couple of years that I used that device.

They don't need to be static and I'm not seeing any issues it's just different than what I'm used to so wanted to see if that's a feature or if something isn't set up right. Seems odd that only certain devices on my network are getting a different IP address on reboot of those devices.

My home network is a Motorola MB8600 Modem and the XR500. The cable modem has no options to change.

Thanks in advance!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you set up an IP address reservation on the router for your devices?

Using recent FW on the XR router?:

Message 2 of 4
ATTICUScc04
Aspirant

That's what someone on the NetDuma forum said to try also.

I just tried that and the IP's seem to stay. If i go back to Automatic mode they go all crazy again. I have no clue what could be causing that. 

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is expected behaviour, allbeit a bit frequent than one would expect. As you're using DHCP the IP isn't strictly just for that device so by turning a device off that IP is now available for another device to pick it up. This isn't an issue as it's not causing you any issues and if you want it to stop changing then you can just set a static IP address.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7