× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configuration for Movistar Triple VLan (Internet, VoIP, IPTV)

One1go
Guide

Configuration for Movistar Triple VLan (Internet, VoIP, IPTV)

Hello

I have bought this router for the Geo-filter functionality which I think is very interesting.  I have Movistar Fusion which uses triple VLAN setup for services.  I have this workin perfectly on my ASUS RT-AC88U (it was really easy too!) But I can only get the Internet Connection working, and VoIP and IPTV do not work.  I have tried every possible setting in the VLAN Tag/Bridge Group menu with no luck... Anyone has sucessfully gotten this configuration working?   Thanks!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: Configuration for Movistar Triple VLan (Internet, VoIP, IPTV)

You might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

No need to repost there, unless you want to – that will just clutter up the place with duplicated messages – but you might find advice related to your hardware.

I have asked the Netgear moderator to move your message.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

Message 2 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you set specific VLAN Settings for the connection method they're using e.g. 2.4 or 5GHz WiFi or the specific port? Also in WAN Settings untick Disable IGMP Proxying and tick to disable SIP ALG.
Message 3 of 6
One1go
Guide

Yes I set the specific VLAN.  I didn't try disabling IGMP proxying or SIP ALG, I will try with that and see what happens, thanks.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 4 of 6
One1go
Guide

So I did some tests and found the following:

- By using the VLAN tags  (in the case of Movistar 6 for Internet, 2 por IPTV and 3 for VoIP) and assigning ports, what the router does is bridge that VLAN to the corresponding port.  This works fine for Internet at on top of this the router does PPPoE and NAT to the adquired Ip address...

- For the other services it is not enough:

* For IPTV, in movistar you need to assign a static IP to the router and actually NAT with this IP address to access the service.  You also need DHCP (for the decoders) with a special config (special DNS and option 240 to declare the source group multicast address...)
                       * For VoIP the network provides an IP address vía DHCP which you can use directly for your SIP client, but again ir would be useful if the router could NAT this traffic in order to hace more than 1 SIP client. 

Also by separating these VLANs in the Netgear router ir makes ir very difficult to transporte the traffic troughout my house, since you would need to configure 802.1q trunks between switches in the infrastructure and assign correct ports for each service (assign IPTV vlan to decoder and voIP Vlan to SIP phone).  This is a big hassle as right now (in provider and ASUS solution) the VLANs are all bridged in LAN segment and coexist - the router takes care of routing to the appropriate VLAN on exit.

So basically the Netgear solution is pretty much useless for Movistar users without using another router behind it, which is pointless as for this you would just use the Movistar supplied router or a working router like the ASUS with Movistar-Triple-Vlan enabled...

I opened a case about this issue with Netgear but they haven't even replied, I guess they are not interested in Spain customers...

Sadly I think I will have to return the router... 

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for doing all that testing, that will help us in the future. I will pass this on to our team even though it's probably something for Netgear. If you could provide your case number I can try to push that from our side. Though with COVID-19 there will be delays.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7