× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect Orbi with XR500

romero2412
Aspirant

Connect Orbi with XR500

So I won the Orbi system in a raffle and I had just upgraded my router to the XR500. I like the Orbi and was wondering what settings I would have to adjust to make the two work together. I have the XR500 in the living room along with the router for the Orbi. Ive tried a couple different set up and I cant get them working properly. I have no idea what way would be the best if there is even a best way to make them be on the same network or not. Thanks in advanced.

Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What exactly is the issue you're having with them?
Message 2 of 8
romero2412
Aspirant

I’m hardwired to the XR500 and my speeds are only 50-60dl and 10 up. On the Orbi I’m getting what I pay for 400/10. I need the XR500 to get its full potential since that’s what is going to be wired to my PS4. So I guess I want the Orbi to run just WiFi aspects of the home and XR500 to handle the gaming
Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If your speeds are that low then you need to input your expected speeds in Anti-Bufferbloat options. Set to When High Priority Detected and use 70% for download/upload sliders.
Message 4 of 8
romero2412
Aspirant

I’ve seen online where I need to turn off dhcp server and turn off the WiFi radios. I’ve done that and also using the Orbi as the main router that the modem is plugged into. I’m then running a cat6 cable to from lan to wan (Orbi-XR500)
Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would just put the Orbi in the DMZ of the XR500 and re-enable DHCP. Turn off WiFi on XR500 is good if you're exclusively using Orbi's wifi.
Message 6 of 8
romero2412
Aspirant

Thanks is having the modem to Orbi fine or switch it to the XR500. I’ve never had to do anything advanced like this so my understanding of all it is cloudy.
Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would definitely recommend modem > XR500 > Orbi. That way you can make use of the XR500's superior QoS and it will still affect all devices connected to the Orbi.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7