× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connections problems XR500

Sir_headcase
Follower

Connections problems XR500

My internet connections keep dropping with my XR500. I first thought it was my service, so I got a new modem had them come out and after all that I only hooked up to my modem and have 115mbps. But when I hook it to the XR500, either doesn't connect at all or keeps going in and out. It's all updated, I've reconnected everything at least twice, not sure what else to try.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Connections problems XR500

So this is an actual issue of the XR500 not connecting properly to the modem rather than any devices specifically? Since you've got the new modem did you factory reset the XR500 and run through the setup wizard from scratch?
Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Connections problems XR500

Replacing the modem won't fix a connection problem if its a line issue. So the goal is to determine if it is indeed a router issue, a modem issue, or a line issue.

Where I'd start?

Disconnect the router from the modem and directly connect a pc to your modem. Use it for for several hours/days (length of time the drops usually happen) to see if you continue to have problems or not. Do some speedtesting, ping testing, and usage testing to see if it drops.  If it stays stable without issues, then it might indeed be the router.

If its dropping, then you need to investigate your line and modem. Each one involve some different tactics to I'd try the direct connection first and report back whether it stays stable or not. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7