× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Constant ack port scan dos attacks Xr700 nighthawk

Turboamerica
Aspirant

Constant ack port scan dos attacks Xr700 nighthawk

To begin with,everyone stay safe and healthy.
I have an xr700 nighthawk gaming router,ordered especially new from Germany,as I wasn’t able to purchase it in Russia. For some time I’ve been getting so called false positive dos attacks,ack scan stuff. While this happens my internet speed drops drastically and online gaming is way worse. I’ve seen it all over the web,but the only answer I see,that it’s normal. To be honest,I don’t think it’s ok,when your own 300$ router doses you. That’s just beyond me
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The router isn't performing DoS attacks on you, it's unfortunately worded - it is just showing IP addresses/connections you have come in contact with. It is highly unlikely they are causing your issues.

What speeds do you pay for/what do you get direct to the modem? What speed does it drop to? What is your average ping to the game as shown by the Geo-Filter?
Message 2 of 17
Turboamerica
Aspirant

So I pay for 1gb/S
My pc gets around 900mb/S while being wired to Ethernet without router
And it won’t drop anywhere
My router sees the speed at exactly 1gb/S
When this happens,my speed drops to around 100/60 constantly. May get to 40/30 and packet loss
Message 3 of 17
Turboamerica
Aspirant

Sorry for the 2 reply,I don’t know how to edit,kinda a new user here
My ping doesn’t change. It’s around 10-20 on moscow servers and around 60 Germany
Also tested my ISP router(like a 20$ crappy one) and it has constant 400+mb/S no drops nothing
Message 4 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How often is the speed dropping? Does it occur on all devices? That ping is really good so must be related to the speed drop.
Message 5 of 17
Turboamerica
Aspirant

30 seconds after my router boots up the speed is reduced. On pc and iPhone for sure. Ps4 speeds are on a bad server,so I ignore them+my ethernet cable connected to ps4 is a little messy.
And yea,I tried using and turning off QOS. No difference. Also for some time now getting SKIPED SPIKE RTT on my router
Message 6 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That doesn't make any sense, do you have new ethernet cables you can connect the XR to the ISP modem/router and to connect to your PC?
Message 7 of 17
Turboamerica
Aspirant

shame I do not have the ISP modem, my lease period ended like a month ago. also a upd on logs-my inet started dropping to 50/30 speed and 1-3% packet loss. the logs are all full of port scans from google etc( so not a real dos attack), also constant rtt skiped spike. restarted the router and speeds back to 160/70 and no packet loss. i really just cant get my thoughts on whats wrong whith it.  

Message 8 of 17
Turboamerica
Aspirant

maybe im missing something in settings of my router? as i tested my pc inet speed wired without router is ALWAYS 900+

Message 9 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you get the router recently? Sometimes it can take awhile for it to sync properly with the ISP. Set the MAC address of the XR to the MAC address of your old router as this can speed it up and resolve the issue.
Message 10 of 17
Turboamerica
Aspirant

I got it more than a year ago.
Message 11 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Upgrade to this firmware please and then once it has applied do a factory reset from the interface and see if the issues continue.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061714/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-24-Hot-Fix
Message 12 of 17
Turboamerica
Aspirant

I’ve tried the latest and the newest firmware,factory reset on both of them. No changes at all
Message 13 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How is the router/modem that the XR is connected to setup? Is it using DMZ, bridge mode or modem mode?
Message 14 of 17
Turboamerica
Aspirant

This modem is owned by my ISP. I don’t know how to explain it,I live in 17 store house with many flats.
UPD on situation. All those ports and up adresses seem to be useful in some way. For example,I blocked 442 and 50002 and my internet went straight back to 90s. Packet loss and ping problems seem to be happening instantly now. Skipped spike RTT. Comes on after like 40 mins of gaming.
In any means,i don’t think 20/20mb/S and 10 ping(usually 2) and 40jitter(usually 0.4) and 7%packet loss is acceptable. My ISP has changed my ip BTW aswell. Nothing has changed. Is there a way to block those up adresses specially on these router? Maybe there is a way to finally solve this?
Message 15 of 17
Turboamerica
Aspirant

UPD. As of today I fixed my dos attack thing. Seems to be just my pc acting weird over WiFi. LAN is all good. Now,constant RTT spikes show up. Doesn’t affect anything but my speed on speed test tho,and only on WiFi divices(pc shows a solid 700+)
Any ideas?
Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think that will be detecting the packet loss on your line, it may be possible to reduce this by trying different Anti-Bufferbloat percentages.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7