× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Correct Setup

vanderboegh
Tutor

Correct Setup

We own the XR500 , one SX10 and two S8000. I have all of our Ethernet cords from our house and our garage hooked into the SX10 which then connects to the XR500.. Two of those cords are coming from the two S8000's which have Xbox's and other items attached to them. I also have another ethernet cord from a room that has a gaming computer hooked to it. I am wondering what the proper setup would be considering that the SX10 has only one gaming input port in gaming mode. 

Thanks

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, SX10| Pro Gaming Multi-Gig Ethernet Switch, S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 6
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

So your setup is Modem / Router > SX10 > Nighthawk XR500 > Two S8000's and all devices? The recommended setup for the Nighthawk XR500 is Modem > Nighthawk XR500 > (Switches if required) > All Devices. If this setup is functioning correctly (i.e you are receiving your full speeds and have an open NAT) then you should have the correct physical setup and the Xr500 will be able to control all of your devices. Please let us know if you are having any issues with your current setup and we'll be happy to help.

Message 2 of 6
vanderboegh
Tutor

The recommended setup for the Nighthawk XR500 is Modem > Nighthawk XR500 > (Switches if required) > All Devices..... This is the setup that I have with normal operating mode turned on in your switches. So this is the correct setup?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, SX10| Pro Gaming Multi-Gig Ethernet Switch, S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In that case yes that is the best setup. We (Netduma) only cover the XR500 as we made DumaOS which is the software used. We can only advise on that specifically and broader use of switches as a whole.

From there I would recommend running the tours on QoS & the Geo-Filter by clicking the ? icon in the top bar next to the logos to get to grips with how the features work.

Generally we recommend Anti-Bufferbloat set to 'Always' with 70% sliders for both upload & download. Then on the Geo-Filter select your device and choose the profile of the game you're playing to set up the map settings accordingly.
Message 4 of 6
BretD
Admin

Speaking for myself, I have a similar setup to the OP.

>Cable modem > XR500 (To SX10 Switch) > SX10 Switch (To PC, Ethernet Switch, ReadyNAS , etc. ) > Additional Switch (Xbox, TV Etc.)

I've had fantastic performance in this situation. 

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@vanderboegh wrote:

I am wondering what the proper setup would be considering that the SX10 has only one gaming input port in gaming mode. 

The SX10 (GS810EMX) Gaming Mode is just a sample preset. You can change the port priority of one more GbE port from Low(P0) to High(P7) and name it accordignly in the QoS settings.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7