× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Crazy Ping Spikes in Online Games

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As I mentioned in my suggestion, use different percentages while downloading and running PingPlotter to find the percentage that lowers the ping the most and keeps it the most stable. It could be either, it really depends on your individual connection - for some people it is higher, for others it is lower.
Message 26 of 34
Moisture
Tutor

I went up by intervals of 10%, and nothing changed. I still got a similar amount of ping spikes. 

Message 27 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try intervals of 5% surrounding the percentages that were the best of a bad bunch.
Message 28 of 34
Moisture
Tutor

Hi, sorry for the late response. I changed it to 45% each and it definitely limited my spikes. I only spike about every 20 minutes. Is there anything else I can do to lower it? Thanks so much though.

Message 29 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's great! How much is the spike that you get every 20 minutes? You've probably optimized as much as possible, that might be due to ISP.
Message 30 of 34
Moisture
Tutor

The spikes vary, but are usually from 200-1100 and last for around 10 seconds. On some games they are more frequent though.

Message 31 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is really high, does it happen directly connected to the ISP modem/router?
Message 32 of 34
Moisture
Tutor

Yeah, It's also worse on some games.

Message 33 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That will be down to the ISP then, you've done what you can on your side now with that percentage but that issue is something you'll need to try and get the ISP to help with. It may help to say that your job requires low latency and that it is interfering with it, they may be more amenable.
Message 34 of 34
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7