× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Currently using XR500. Do I need to upgrade?

Booklover
Aspirant

Currently using XR500. Do I need to upgrade?

Hello.

I am looking to replace my current router with a router that is made for gaming on two Xbox ones. *We have two Xbox ones [will get the new Xbox when I can find them] hardwired to the current router using cat5e cables. *Unfortunately, the router and cable modem [spectrum 400/20] are upstairs and the Xbox ones are downstairs. *one Xbox is using 75 ft cable and the other is using 100 ft cable. * *I don’t really need one for all the WiFi products because I have an orbi in AP mode hardwired to the router with the satellite**downstairs. We mainly play call of duty multiplayer and a lot of times we are gaming together. *We do get open nat but it seems like one person is pulling a better connection in the games than the other.

*I’m not all that savvy with routers and which ones would be best. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you.*

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Currently using XR500. Do I need to upgrade?

If you currently have a xr500, you probably won't see much improvement because it isn't the router that's bottlenecking the xbox.

Its the xbox itself. 

When you say ones "pulling a better connection" how are youo measuring that? 

Are the xbox's hardwired into the xr500 or through the orbi? 

Or through the orbi's satellites? 

Message 2 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest sticking with the XR500 and experimenting with your QoS settings and particularly the Geo-Filter to ensure you can get a low ping server close by
Message 3 of 7
Booklover
Aspirant

I'm not measuring the difference in numbers.  It's just the amount of hit markers that don't seem to register.

the Xbox are hardwired into the XR500.

Message 4 of 7
Booklover
Aspirant

Thank you.  

I've done a little bit of tinkering with the QOS and ping.  I've set my ping no higher than 60 and selected the call of duty.  

I've set the Xbox ones to get more of the traffic.

I do need to read more about the DumaOS to try to setup the router better.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

there's a few guides on settings you can optimize. 

DumaOS Optimal Settings Guides : NETDUMA

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We can't really advise based on feel or hitmarkers but on ping which is what the router can actively lower so if you're still having issues do let us know some more details on that. Great reading above to get to grips with the router, also there are ? icons on every panel on the interface that will give you additional information.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7