× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS

Wyzfar
Aspirant

DNS

Hello so when in command prompt when i ping the DNS 1.1.1.1 and 75.75.75.75, the results show in command prompt that 75.75.75.75 is faster by a few MS but in a benchmark shows 1.1.1.1 is faster but i feel like CMD is more reliable 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Wyzfar
Aspirant

? So this made me ping my router /gateway 192.168.1.1 and I seen that it was 1ms so I am curious can I use this as a Primary DNS And would it be beneficial I tested this already on ps4 and when playing bo4 the connectivity felt absolutely incredible just trying to make sure it’s not in my head
Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The ping to your router/gateway is the fastest because it's in your local network, its the closest to you. Using the router as your DNS will just allow your router to use the ISP's standard DNS. DNS does not have an impact on your game experience so if just using the router as DNS gives you a good experience just stick with that.
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I use 1.1.1.1 and quad 9 for my needs. 

Message 4 of 10
Wyzfar
Aspirant

So essentially I am using my router as a dns server ?
Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes and the router then uses the standard ISP DNS.
Message 6 of 10
Wyzfar
Aspirant

router uses my ISP default DNS, thus when i input my DNS as my router, i will be using the ISP default DNS but what if i dont input the DNS as my Router what if i input as an ip that is not being assigned or my router is using for instance 192.168.1.60 

Message 7 of 10
Wyzfar
Aspirant

also is using the router as a DNS server faster then just inputing 1.1.1.1 since my router wouldnt be a DNS server then ?

Message 8 of 10
Wyzfar
Aspirant

also meaning that it would be more beneficial  to input my gateway as a DNS instead of just inputing 75.75.75.75 correct ? 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Since NG doen't allow DNS Proxy or Relay to be disabled on there routers, you can input ON the router ISP DNS or custom DNS. Some other router Mfrs allow to disable DNS Relay or Proxy thus sometimes having better router performance by having the router access ISP or Custome DNS and passing this thru to connected clients. There maybe some neglegable performance by using DNS Proxy or Relay. NG seems to handle this well regardless. I use custome DNS values on the router and let the clients get auto DNS values from the router. No need to input anything on the clients. 

So use either ISP or custome DNS addresses, and let the router handle things. Works well for what it does. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7