× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DOS ATTACK and DNS Failure Internet Loss

insomniak
Guide

DOS ATTACK and DNS Failure Internet Loss

I recently purchased the XR500 Router and overall everything is running good. However over the past few days i've noticed that the internet has been cutting out once in a while for minutes at a time. Sometimes up to 10 minutes. I checked the logs an noticed an alarming number of "DOS ATTACK: ACK Scan" scanning mainly ports 443 and 80. I figured that the router is doing its job by blocking these scans.

Of the latest scans, i tracked the IP's to a majority of them coming from Amazon and LiquidWeb (never heard). 

I'm not 100% if these "Attacks" are what is effecting my connection but when all is running fine and i check the logs, i don't see any of the attacks.

I searched around and found that some people had turned of UPNP and so i followed suite during one of these "attacks" when my internet was down and low and behold, everything was working just fine.

So now i'm not sure as to whether it was these "attacks" that were crippling my internet or if UPNP was at fault. Any insight? I actually returned the Orbi and purchased this router with an EX8000 extender as a replacement because of this vary same issue so i'm pretty bummed i'm still running into this.

I've attached the logs for reference.

UDPATE: After trying submit this post, encountered another outage so I don’t even think it’s UPNP related now. After refreshing the logs, I’ve attached them here also and noted that there was one that states “Dynamic DNS host name registration failure”. Could this possibly have anything to do with it?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
Killhippie
Prodigy

Can I ask what foirmware you are using? Personally I have not had this issues, but have seen a few people with DNS issues recently, I would say tyry a different DNS server, like Googles 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to see if that helps. It may be your ISP's DNS casuing issues so thats worth a try.

Message 2 of 12
Killhippie
Prodigy

You don't have to use Geo Filters and the XR500 has a better QoS I think than the Netgear R7800's Streamboost which is messed up by Netgears overlay and its old Streamboost updates which are not even updated regularly, which is a pity as it is a great router. The R7800 should have had regular QoS updates and at this time streamboost still falls over if the power goes down and all device priorities switch to low on QoS and stay that way.

Also its blank page issue with QoS and changing device priority as its QoS does not recognise devices properly and also naming devices can cause blank pages as well should have been fixed, but since version 1.0.2.38 when the router last worked fine the bug has continued.

It does seem that DNS issues may be the problem here though as the Orbi and now XR500 have both the same issue, which I have not personally seen in the UK with either the R7800 or XR500 and hopefully the OP can get that sorted without having to return another router...

Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi insomniak, I have sent you a PM with a firmware that may potentially fix your issue.
Message 4 of 12
insomniak
Guide

I'm currently using firmware V1.0.0.325.

I'm definitely a gamer and my two sons are also gamers so that was the main reason to try this router out after reading the great reviews of NetDuma OS.

I had been using Google's DNS but am now trying out Quad9 to see if that makes any difference. I also have DDNS with No-IP.com activated if that makes any difference too.

Thank you Fraser for the firmware and i'll give it a try and report back with an update.

Message 5 of 12
insomniak
Guide

Oops, i gave the wrong firmware before. I actually am on V2.2.1.10. I'm trying out Fraser's provided firmware now so we'll see how that goes.

Message 6 of 12
Swordid
Star

@Case850 wrote:

@insomniak wrote: >>> I'm definitely a gamer and my two sons are also gamers so that was the main reason to try this router out after reading the great reviews of NetDuma OS.

Reading through the forums is more realistic, unlike sugar coated reviews. Just hang on to your receipt and be mindful of the returns policy.

This ^. The XR500 has great reviews on the surface across Amazon, Best Buy, PC gamer, PC Mag etc. but this forum shows there definitely is some QC issues with the XR500 and its complexity. If your issue results in needing an RMA, I strongly advise to just return the router and get a different brand or at least a different XR500 yourself. I am going on 3 days of being ghosted as to the status of what was suppose to be a next day RMA claim. This is after spending 2 days and waiting on the phone for a few hours at a time battling through tier 1 tech support to even get to an RMA. Hopefully you get your issue resolved as the XR500 is great...when it works. And **bleep** customer support isn't the fault of the duma OS guys/girls.

Message 7 of 12
insomniak
Guide

I got mine through Amazon and they have great customer service so I'm not worried about returns as long as I'm within the 30 days. Although I do have high hopes for this router especially with the OS.​But I'll admit, I've never had great experience with Netgear in the past and only wanted to give it another chance due to the OS.​The Orbi​ was great for 6 months then firmware updates happened and all hell broke loose.

At this point I don't even know where to go from here. I basically just want coverage that the Orbi (1 satellite) gave under a unified SSID. Ive gone through so many options I feel like I'm never going to get the most reliable setup.

Any other suggestions as far as router options I'm open to while I still try this out. I'm still somewhat hopeful though.
Message 8 of 12
Killhippie
Prodigy

A singel box unit wont give you the coverage of the Orbi and satelite depending of course on the size of your home, as to the XR500 did you factory reset it after updating to Frasers firmware, then manually enter teh settings? Also dont use a back up. With the XR5000 you can use an extender like the EX8000 http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX8000.aspx

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Any update from the firmware insomniak?
Message 10 of 12
insomniak
Guide

Running the provided firmware i'm still running into the same issue. Rebooted the router many times and still the same. 

Intermittent internet loss through wired and Wifi connections. Delay in loading pages and would get the typical DNS Error on browsers.

I'm going to try a factory reset tonight to see if that changes anything.

Message 11 of 12
XRaptor29
Luminary

It could be something on the ISP side causing issues.
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7