× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device Manager Not Showing Connected Device

downindm
Aspirant

Device Manager Not Showing Connected Device

I have a Raspberry Pi connected wirelessly to the router.  For some reason I am unable to see the device in the Device Manager.  Actually, I am able to see it as offline - but only with a Wired MAC address.  The Pi does have a WiFi connection as it is reporting it.  And oddly enough, when I went to Settings > LAN Setup on the router to reserve an IP for it, it did show up there with the connected IP address and MAC.  I went ahead and assigned it a static address and applied it (waiting for it to disconnect everything and reconnect).  Still, it's not showing up in Device Manager.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you do something on the Pi to initiate some internet traffic then look on the Device Manager do you see it appear as online then?

If so if the router doesn't detect any data passing through the device it will appear as offline until it detects traffic.
Message 2 of 8
downindm
Aspirant

No, I am able to play a video over the network that is streaming from the Pi and it is still not showing as being connected or having an IP address in the device manager.  Could this be due to it connecting to the network through my range extender (a Linksys AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender / Repeater - RE6500)?  I have other devices (such as a FireTV that connect through it as well and they show as online).

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes it could quite possibly be that. If you connect it directly does it behave as expected?
Message 4 of 8
downindm
Aspirant

Yes, disconnected the extender and it now shows up as expected connected to the 5G band.  Not sure why other devices work as expected through the extender yet the Pi does not.  What I like about the Linksys extender is it merges itself with the network rather than showing as a different network.  Does Netgear make a WiFi extender that would do the same (show all as the same network, but show my devices as online when going through it)?  Older houses with plaster walls are a real challenge when it comes to getting a signal to pass (I'm guessing there may be a metal mesh behind the walls)... LOL!

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting! If you could possibly capture the traffic of the Pi using something like PingPlotter we can try to determine why that is. Yes I tested the EX8000 recently which does exactly that - unsure if it would show the Pi online as we (Netduma) don't have one to test with.
Message 6 of 8
downindm
Aspirant

Would be happy to.  I downloaded PingPlotter on my Mac which is connected to a LAN port on the XR500.  What do I need to do?  Have never used this software before.  Or do I need to find something like it that runs from the Pi (it's a model 3B+)?

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

PingPlotter or a similar program if you can find it should run on the Pi itself. Then just capture the traffic and use the Pi how you normally would.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7