× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device Manager Shows a Device With an Unknown Mac Address

Mygamertagsucks
Apprentice

Device Manager Shows a Device With an Unknown Mac Address

Can anybody please tell me how I can figure out what this device is that is showing up in my device manager, and has never been there before?
The name of the device, in Device Manager, is PDHOME-GG7FP3D6Q1GC. It shows the device is a computer, but only my laptop computer is actually on the network. The MAC address, which I have used various sites to try to ID the vendor, with no luck, is as follows. F2:22:B5:F3:3E:1D. It also has an IP address of 192.168.1.20. Sites like ArulJohn, DNSChecker, and Wireshark all display "No matches found."
When I ping the device, I get 100% packet loss. I have absolutely no idea what this device could be.

If anybody can help me figure this out, I would appreciate it. I know that I should know how to figure this out, but I can't find any traffic in the logs that show any traffic to or from 192.168.1.20. I have saved the log files, if those are necessary.

Thank you.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for posting!

Do you have IoT devices in your network, such as smart bulbs for example?

Does the device show as being online in device manager?

Message 2 of 7
Mygamertagsucks
Apprentice

Sorry for the massive delay. I forgot about it when the MAC addresses stopped showing up in my device manager. I logged in today because I'm having the same issue as before: MAC address records not found.
I do not have any smart devices running in the house aside from smartphones. No Alexa. No smart bulbs. We do have smart tvs, but they are all offline.
We do have one modem/router that has since been introduced to the network, for dialysis, but it is connected to a dialyzer, which sends the information to and from the dialysis center. So, it's not even on our network. I am now having this same issue, but can't find the Mac address that I wrote down. I'll look for it in a minute.
Message 3 of 7
Mygamertagsucks
Apprentice

Here are the MAC addresses I can not find a vendor for.
9E:40:C5:27:61:57

F2:22:B5:F3:3E:1D (this device shows up on our network as PDHOME-GG7FP3D6Q1GC. I have no idea what this is.)

Thanks in advance.
Message 4 of 7
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I can't find a great deal of information on those either I'm afraid.

I slightly more brute-force approach would be to block these devices in Device Manager. You can then wait and see if you notice anything in the house not working anymore (assuming you're certain the dialysis machine doesn't go through the XR).

Message 5 of 7
Mygamertagsucks
Apprentice

Thank you for replying to this message, too. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sold on the fact that it does not access our home network. The lady that set the dialysis machine is the one who told us that it has its own connection, and doesn't need to get on our network in order to send information, but I don't see how that could possibly be the case. That's the only reason I haven't blocked the devices, as that could have horrible results.
I'm just frustrated bc I can't account for these devices.
Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I am almost 100% sure it is the Dialysis machine. Reason being:
- The MAC address is a locally administered address, i.e. the device has specifically been given a MAC address that overrides the built in MAC address from the manufacturer or it is a randomized MAC address. Either way this if for privacy purposes.
- The type of transmission from this MAC address is Unicast - i.e. a one to one connection, from what you have said above this makes sense.
- Typing PDHOME into Google I'm immediately given the option to search PDHOME Dialysis and from there PD clearly stands for Peritoneal Dialysis and you can have Dialysis from home.

So I wouldn't worry about it at all, just don't block it!
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7