× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device manager not updating.

heroxoot
Apprentice

Device manager not updating.

I have an XR450 (basically a XR500) and I have issues with my device manager (network map). When I disconnect a device or just shut it off, it still claims it is online.  For example, my GF had not been over for a week and it still said her phone was connected to the 5G wireless signal. It does this on both wired and wireless devices. It only becomes an issue when a device won't appear as online, as it screws with Geofilter when that happens. Like say, my PS4 is offline right now and I rebooted the router. It will currently shows as an offline device, but when I turn it on, it does not move into the online devices. I would like to not have to reboot my router every time I want to turn something on/off to remove/add it to my devices.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What firmware version are you on? I assume the latest .40? In which case did it only occur when upgrading to this firmware? If so downgrade to .32, do you still see the issue?

Message 2 of 17
heroxoot
Apprentice

It started on .32 I believe. I didn't notice it at first and when I did .40 had come out. In reality it fixed it for a while but after the router has been running so long it quits working for me in the device list.  I only care because if I turn on a console and it was showing as offline, it won't move to online status and thus Geo Filter does not function.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 17
heroxoot
Apprentice

As of now my Nintendo Switch for example shows as offline and will not move to Online devices even tho I'm using it online right now. And thus Geofilter does not populate for games.

Message 4 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting, does the console by any chance go into standby when you turn it off? If so, get it to the point where it is working correctly, then turn the device off completely. Next time you turn it on does it appear on the Device Manager properly?
Message 5 of 17
heroxoot
Apprentice

Im currently playing online and it shows as offline in device manager. Nothing on my Geofilter populates. For example, playing Super Smash Bros Ultimate on my Switch generally shows my peers and quickly when the device registers as online.  My PC which is showing as online is populating the steam download server as a peer right now. I've been online with my Switch for 45 minutes and it shows it as offline.

Message 6 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Get it to the point first where it's showing correctly. So turn off the console fully, reboot, delete the device. Then turn on the device, does it appear online? Once finished playing turn it off fully again, does it change to offline?
Message 7 of 17
heroxoot
Apprentice

The only thing required to get it to show online isto reboot the XR450 and have the console active at that time. To me this says that the router is not polling devices for online status. Deleting the console from the manager does nothing for it later unless I reboot the router AGAIN.

Message 8 of 17
heroxoot
Apprentice

After rebooting, again, my devices are moving in and out of status properly on device manager. But this only lasts a period. When I get back from work tonight it's likely not going to be functional as it general happens. That is why I am trying to find out what the problem is. Is it firmware? Is it hardware? It should always be able to detect devices connecting and disconnecting. It's been rebooted 5 times in the past 12 hours now.

Message 9 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I understand that, I think it might be related to standby modes on devices. Now it's working if you shut down the Switch properly or any other devices rather than leaving them on standby does it work correctly?
Message 10 of 17
heroxoot
Apprentice

When it's functional as it should the switch will connect and disconnect in standby. But as it stands unplugging the wire from the console dock does not remove it from online status once the problem starts happening. WiFi is disabled. Same with my desktop pc. I shut it off completely and it shows as online in device manager still.
Message 11 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think we've identified issues like this so I believe the team are looking into it.
Message 12 of 17
heroxoot
Apprentice

That's good. It just gets rather annoying if it works and then decides it doesn't detect my console so geofilter doesn't run.
Message 13 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah totally understand, I think it was somehow introduced in a recent firmware so it's being addressed. Was just checking if it was related to standby modes.
Message 14 of 17
heroxoot
Apprentice

Good to know. For now I'll just have to deal with it. But my consoles connect and disconnect while in standby. I watched my Nintendo switch do so today. So all the times it's not showing it probably disconnected and then had the malfunction on the router firmware. 🤔
Message 15 of 17
Biggus42
Tutor

FYI - You're not alone. 

My XR500  has kept the same picture for days. (version .40, too).

It is not refreshing / moving around like it used to. I can turn off devices that it shows are on and they never move to the offline.

Likewise, offline equipment doesn't move to the online areas when it is turned on.

The map seems to be frozen in time, no matter how many times I power cycle it.

Hopefully, it will be fixed in next release.

Thank you!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Biggus, downgrade to .32 and see if that resolves your issue.
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7