× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device manager shows PC in offline Tree when it’s actually online.

EQJunky
Guide

Device manager shows PC in offline Tree when it’s actually online.

Device manager in duma os always shows PC as offline even when it’s online. Any ideas??
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Device manager shows PC in offline Tree when it’s actually online.

Which browser are you using? Happen with Firefox or Opera? 

Message 2 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

I’m using Google chrome. I haven’t tried the others because I think Google was recommended?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't have to use chrome. I don't. 

Let us know if the other browsers show same issue. 

Does this PC have a reserved IP address? 

Wired or wireless connected PC? 

Message 4 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

I tried Firefox and it wouldn’t log into the router at all. I tried Microsoft edge and it didn’t show my pc online just like google chrome. Attached via Ethernet cable. DHCP
Message 5 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

I’m noticing that the IP address for my switch that the PC is connected to says 192.168.1.5 in device settings but through the phone app the IP address says 192.168.1.10?? Maybe this is why the PC doesn’t show up because it’s connected through the switch? Any ideas how to fix this?
Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you connect the PC directly to the XR router? 

Message 7 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

It still shows up as offline on the tree when the PC is connected directly to the router. I think it has something to do with different ips showing up in he phone switch app and in device manager.
Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using any reserved IPs for the switch or PC. 

What happens if you power everything off. Then power ON the router, then switch, then PC? 

Message 9 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

Yeah that’s what I did. So I powered everything off waited a few minutes then brought everything back up. Now the PC shows up as online on the LAN but the switch shows up as offline with a bunch of other devices.
Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets remove the switch from the XR for a bit and connect everything up as best as you can. 

Wondering if the switch is causing something here...

Message 11 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

So my PCs show up on the LAN now after disconnecting the switch and rebooting everything but the hr doesn’t recognize the switch after I added it back into the loop. Is there a was to add the switch back into device manager manually? It doesn’t seem to auto detect.
Message 12 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

So now I got the switch to show up as offline in device manager but my two PCs are plugged into it so it should show up as online. Confusing
Message 13 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

Is it normal for Netgear s8000 switches to show up as offline in device manager even when PCs are plugged into it and show up as active and plugged into the lan in device manager?
Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 14 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

Rebooted the switch and now it shows up in device manager. Thanks Furry!
Message 15 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Most switches never communicate with the router and the Internet at run time. So the one and only action one might ever see is the initial boot probably in combination with the DHCP process. After a while, its well possible the switches are becoming invisible. Keep in mind this device manager or attached devices list on the classic Nighthawk router's are not active management systems regularly polling network devices for the presence on the network.

Message 16 of 18
EQJunky
Guide

That makes sense, I rebooted the switch and got the switch to show up connected to the LAN in device manager. It’s just weird that it showed my two PCs and the switch all connected to the LAN instead of the PCs connected to the switch.

Thanks Schu
Message 17 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@EQJunky wrote:
It’s just weird that it showed my two PCs and the switch all connected to the LAN instead of the PCs connected to the switch.

Here again, to get a proper network picture some more advanced features like Link Layer Discovery Protocol and some combination allowing the communication between the router and the switch(es) would be required. Neither the switch cores on consumer routers (even many SMB routers) nor the Smart Managed Plus/Netgear Pro Gaming switches offer these features. Therefore, the router can't learn what is connected to a local LAN port or on a switch connected to the LAN port. It's all in the same L2 network - so the LAN.

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7