× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices Not Connecting To 2.4ghz

B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

Devices Not Connecting To 2.4ghz

I had an issue where my interent went down for several hours due to my ISP.  After resetting the modem and rebooting the router, the following devices will not connect to my 2.4Ghz radio:

Nest Thermostat (Main Level)

Nest Thermostat (Second Level)

ADT Security System

Chamberlain Garage Door 

These devices connected without any issues prior to my interent being down for several hours.  What's odd, is the Nest Thermostat's show they are connected however, the Nest iOS App shows them offline.  All devices have assigned IP addresses.  I've rebooted the router a few times and STILL cannot get the devices to connect to the 2.4Ghz radio.  

I do have othe devices that are able to connect / are connected to the 2.4GHz radio.  

I'm baffled.  Thanks for the troubleshooting help.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

Re: Devices Not Connecting To 2.4ghz

After hours of troubleshooting and about a half dozen factory resets, I was able to resolve my issue.  

Does anyone remembers the google program 'Namebench' from several years back?  Well, it turns out that I was still using my DNS / Alternate DNS server addresses from almost five years ago.  Everything worked great and I had not issues on the XR500 until my ISP went down for maintenance / upgrade early Thursday morning.  After the maintenance / upgrade was complete, I had to call my ISP in order to get online as they needed to do some things on their end.

FAST FORWARD >>>>>>>>>>>

I noticed after doing factory resets, all devices on my home network seemed to work flawlessly.  After loading a recently saved CONFIG file, I once again had issues with the same devices (connected to home network / unable to communicate with server).  Another factory reset,  and this time I set up my home network from scratch, using the almost five year old DNS / Alternate DNS server numbers.  The issues persisted.  A performed a few more factory resets, trying differnet configurations, and I was still having issues.  On a whim, I decided to "Get Automatically from ISP" the "Domain Main Server Address".  Guess what........I"m BACK IN BUSINESS!  Smiley Very Happy

I, like most others, am still have random disconnects (usually Nest Cam during the late night hours) that are very brief (just a few seconds).  I've noticed no random disconnects of any LAN connceted devices, including both the Xbox One X and Xbox One S which are both set to 'Instant On'. 

Ultimately my problem was a result of 5 year old 'Domain Main Server Addresses" I was using from the Namebench program.  I'm now using / trying some recommended DNS Server Addresses and they seem to be working great!  Thanks to all that helped me with troubleshooting this problem.

I hope that anyone having issues like mine might be able to use this information as a reference.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

I need to clarify something (unable to edit original post).

Two of the devices are actually connected via LAN : Chamberlain Garage Door / ADT Home Security System.  The Nest Thermostats are the two devices that show they are connected (when checking Nest Thermostat) however, the Nest iOS app shows them offline.

Message 2 of 16
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

**UPDATE**

When I check 'DEVICE MANAGER', it shows the Nest Thermostats connected to the 2.4GHz radio however, the Nest iOS app shows them offline. 

I'm beyond baffled as to why the four devices I'm having trouble with worked just fine yesterday.  It seems no matter what I do (unplug devices / delete devices / removed reserved IP addresses / ect), they will not connect.

Message 3 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

For the WiFi is smart connect disabled and are they connected directly to the 2.4GHz band? Untick disable IGMP Proxying in WAN Setup also.
Message 4 of 16
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
For the WiFi is smart connect disabled and are they connected directly to the 2.4GHz band? Untick disable IGMP Proxying in WAN Setup also.

I have 'Smart Connect' enabled.  The devices I'm having issues with all worked just fine up until the modem lost signal for several hours.  Once they resolved the issue, that is when I started having issues.  The two Nest Thermostats show they are connected to my to my WiFi (when I check the Network Connection on each thermostat).  I can see them when I check 'Device Manager' on the XR500.  I'm baffled!   

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I have Beamforming enabled and MIMO disabled. Using Smart Connect. Manual Channels 11 and 48 and Auto 20/40Mhz. I believe enabling 40Mhz only worked as well, however after downgrading FW back to initial on my XR450 the other night, I haven't seen as many disconnects wthe the NEST controllers. I was seeing a few random disconnects with the most recent version of FW.

Message 6 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay I would try turning off the XR500. Reboot the modem and wait 1-2 minutes for it to fully boot up. Then turn on the XR500 and wait for it to fully boot up. Disable Smart Connect then connect to 2.4GHz and see if it resolves the issue.
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Well at least he got internet back. ISP messed up on there provisioning of his modem. Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 16
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Okay I would try turning off the XR500. Reboot the modem and wait 1-2 minutes for it to fully boot up. Then turn on the XR500 and wait for it to fully boot up. Disable Smart Connect then connect to 2.4GHz and see if it resolves the issue.

I've done that a few times already.  But, I will try it again and disable Smart Connect.  The Nest Thermostats show they are connected to my WiFi when checking the settings / techincal info on the thermostat, and show up as connected on XR500 when checking the Device Manager.  The other two devices are connected via LAN to a switch.  They wil show up as connected on the XR500 when checking the Device Manager.  It's just the iOS apps that are showing OFFLINE / NOT CONNECTED / SYSTEM IS OFFLINE.

BTW, I have devices that are currently connected to the 2.4GHz radio w/o any issues.  I also have devices connected via LAN to the same switch and no issues with those connected devices.  It just seems to be four devices with issues (Nest Thermostats / ADT Home Security System / Chamberlain Garage Door - MY Q).

Bizarre for sure!  

Thank for the continued help.   

Message 9 of 16
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:

Would doing a Factory Reset and setting it up from scratch resolve the issue?  It almost seems as if something is blocking the the devices connected to my home network from communicating the "status" of the apps used on my phone (Nest / Chamberlain / ADT Pulse).  BTW, my Nest Cam has no issues and connects to WiFi just fine, and I can view live video using the Nest App.  

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the other effected devices been powered OFF for a full 1 minuted then back on?

Message 11 of 16
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has the other effected devices been powered OFF for a full 1 minuted then back on?

Yes.  I even had them powered off for 1+ hours.

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if a factory reset helps. Try a different router as well.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So hows that custome DNS? Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 16
B1ggSh00t3r
Apprentice

After hours of troubleshooting and about a half dozen factory resets, I was able to resolve my issue.  

Does anyone remembers the google program 'Namebench' from several years back?  Well, it turns out that I was still using my DNS / Alternate DNS server addresses from almost five years ago.  Everything worked great and I had not issues on the XR500 until my ISP went down for maintenance / upgrade early Thursday morning.  After the maintenance / upgrade was complete, I had to call my ISP in order to get online as they needed to do some things on their end.

FAST FORWARD >>>>>>>>>>>

I noticed after doing factory resets, all devices on my home network seemed to work flawlessly.  After loading a recently saved CONFIG file, I once again had issues with the same devices (connected to home network / unable to communicate with server).  Another factory reset,  and this time I set up my home network from scratch, using the almost five year old DNS / Alternate DNS server numbers.  The issues persisted.  A performed a few more factory resets, trying differnet configurations, and I was still having issues.  On a whim, I decided to "Get Automatically from ISP" the "Domain Main Server Address".  Guess what........I"m BACK IN BUSINESS!  Smiley Very Happy

I, like most others, am still have random disconnects (usually Nest Cam during the late night hours) that are very brief (just a few seconds).  I've noticed no random disconnects of any LAN connceted devices, including both the Xbox One X and Xbox One S which are both set to 'Instant On'. 

Ultimately my problem was a result of 5 year old 'Domain Main Server Addresses" I was using from the Namebench program.  I'm now using / trying some recommended DNS Server Addresses and they seem to be working great!  Thanks to all that helped me with troubleshooting this problem.

I hope that anyone having issues like mine might be able to use this information as a reference.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend giving 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 a try for DNS. I've been using them since I first hear about them earlier this year. Been having good services thru them. 

Keep in mind that some DNS do changes over the years so keep and eye on things and if you notice internet issues, sites not loading right or no getting internet resources, go back and set auto detect on the router and let it get DNS from the ISP first to check for resolution. Then go find other custom DNS. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7