× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices Table in XR500 DumaOS - where are the device names stored?

bevant
Apprentice

Devices Table in XR500 DumaOS - where are the device names stored?

When I first installed my new XR500, I took a bit of time going through the devices in the Devices Table and labelling them (a lot of them just says "unnamed device").

All worked well until stupid Netgear support told me to return the modem to the store for a replacement.

I restored the settings from the first XR500 to the new XR500 and everything seems to be back except the Devices Table showing a lot of "unnamed device" again!

Are the names of the devices stored saved in the settings file? Should it?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Alias_1aB
Initiate

Re: Devices Table in XR500 DumaOS - where are the device names stored?

I have an XR450 and no matter what i do I always have 3 unnamed devices on my network from devices unaccounted for. I finally figured out it has something to do with the cable modem because other apps that show the device information shows those LAN IP addresses as "ARRIS" which is the brand of cable modem I have. Arris SB6190. Those unnamed devices do not affect anything however as everything works as its supposed to so I would not be too worried that they are there.

Message 2 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's most likely because the devices weren't online at the time so it couldn't match it to any active devices.
Message 3 of 7
bevant
Apprentice

Not true. The devices were online. 

That was the reason I found out that the names weren't saved in the config file.

I was looking at the network activity and it showed a device without a name doing downloading which led me to look at the devices table and found many unnamed device. 

Before I returned the old XR500, I had named all the devices, there were no unnamed device in the Devices Table.

Anyone can try and see if it's a bug?

Message 4 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We haven't done a whole lot of work on the Netgear backup function but we'll be doing one of our own I think in future. It's hard to match the devices up after a reset because IP addresses etc may have changed.
Message 5 of 7
bevant
Apprentice

I would have thought you'd match them by MAC address rather than IP address. 

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just an example, we will improve upon this in the future as I think we'll make our own backups.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7