× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices dropping from XR500 Router

cjwaeltz
Follower

Devices dropping from XR500 Router

Hello ... I'm having some issues with a couple of devices, and thought I'd ask the community for thoughts.  

I changed to a new ISP in March 2022 , and per their recommendation switched to a Netgear XR500 router.  For 6 months everything worked flawlessly.  I started having issues a couple of weeks ago:

Problem Desc:  Most of my wifi-based devices connect.  There seems to have been a notable slowdown (especially at initial load) ... but things like internet, Netflix, etc. do function.  However, I have 2 devices that will not connect to the internet.  One is a wifi thermostat (connects via wifi) the other is a Directv Genie2 device - which requires an internet connection for some recording features.  The Genie is in the same equipment area and attaches to the router via ethernet cable.

My issue is the thermostat connects to wifi, but begins to "register" - assume to Honeywell servers ... then after a period it says "connection lost".  The Genie just "fails" to connect and error codes say internet not available.

My limited troubleshooting ... I connected the thermostat to the hot spot on my phone ... registers and connects via cell data network.  Then had ISP tech come out ... he disconnected my router .. provisioned a temp router .. thermostat again registered and connected.  Seems to indicate a problem with the router (we didn't try to connect Genie to temp router).

I checked the current firmware version ... its is current V2.3.2.134 .. i even reapplied the firmware - no change.  There is no gaming / heavy network loads here ... just my wife and I doing some Netflix and basic pc-based internet work.

My life won't change because I can't control a thermostat with my phone, but it does bother me that up until a couple of weeks ago - this was all working fine.  

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Devices dropping from XR500 Router

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Please set the default IP address range on the router to 192.168.1.100 to .200 then see what happens? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 
Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.
Test with Beamforming and MIMO are enabled. 
Message 2 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Devices dropping from XR500 Router

Most likely they are devices that only support 2.4GHz and don’t work well with Smart Connect, disable that, connect them directly to 2.4GHz and they should work.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7