× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disconnect on New DHCP Lease Allocation (Ethernet)

yksi
Tutor

Disconnect on New DHCP Lease Allocation (Ethernet)

So this issue has been going on for literally since I bought this router, 8 months ago. Every single time my router needs to allocate a new DHCP lease, which for some reason is every 24 hours because you can't change it, my internet disconnects.

This is a GAMING router. It is absolutely ridiculous that it disconnects every single night every 24 hours because, I assume, it can't do what every other router does and renew the lease ahead of time before it needs it. The disconnect is milliseconds long, but for whatever reason I am always consistently forced to literally restart any internet-connected game after the lease renewal.

I have already tried several things to fix this issue. I have updated to the most recent firmware, 2.3.2.32; the firmware update that CLAIMED to fix a "disconnect issue," which I can only assume is this exact issue because so many other people have complained about it. Didn't work. I've tried disabling Smart Connect in Wireless Setup, and that also didn't work. I tried using Static IP allocation, and instead of just a quick disconnect and reconnect after the lease expiry I just couldn't use the internet at all anymore. I read that you can disable MIMO or something like that, but I don't even know what that is ("[something] In, [something] Out?") so I can't try it. My MTU size is already optimal based on the ping test so changing that won't do anything.

You can probably tell by my incredibly passive aggressive tone how frustrating this problem is, and I'd like to know if there are any solutions in the works or if there's something I'm not doing that works to fix it. This is pretty unacceptable for a router called a "pro gaming router."

EDIT: I tried a factory reset. I've been disconnecting predictably at the same time every day but I won't be around tomorrow night during the normal time so I guess I'll report back in 2 days to see if it worked.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi yksi, sorry to hear you're having this issue. I have PM'd you with a beta firmware to try. Please see if this resolves your issue.
Message 2 of 8
yksi
Tutor

So it worked for a week or so and just now I disconnected again on the DHCP new lease... not sure what else I can do about it

Message 3 of 8
nytiger73
Star

I had the same issue.  I ended up returning the router.  The basic function of a router is to share an internet connection and allocate IP addresses.  When it can't even do that correctly, there is an issue.  I wanted to like this router, it has some awesome features.  But until these DHCP features are solved, I wouldn't recommend this router.  I went and hooked my R8000 back up.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats your IP address pool size set for? 

Try setting it for 192.168.1.100 to .200. 

Have you set up any IP address reservations for your devices? 

@yksi wrote:

So it worked for a week or so and just now I disconnected again on the DHCP new lease... not sure what else I can do about it

Message 5 of 8
yksi
Tutor

I'll give that a try.

I haven't tried reserving IPs - didn't know you could do that; I thought making a static IP was the same thing. I'll do that too.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Setting IP address reservations is done ON the router. Static IP addresses are set ON devices. These need to be out side of the routers default IP address pool however. 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

On a simple level they do the same thing but Furry's response is perfect. I personally always use reservation - because it's easy to forget you've put a static IP on a device and then you spend ages wondering why it;s not connecting when it's on a different router!

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7