× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Discord traffic triggering Gaming Service on Traffic Prioritization

Pipodi
Tutor

Discord traffic triggering Gaming Service on Traffic Prioritization

Hi guys,

as title suggests, Discord triggers my Game Service rule for my gaming PC, so the entire network gets throttled to my Congestion Control slides (I'm actually on a 100/20MB connection, so when it gets throttled it's very difficult to download something fast), because I have "auto-enable" on the Congestion Control. I have figured it out just now, because it was showing on Geofiltering as a peer, I've searched its IP and discovered it was a Discord server.

Is there a way to make this service not to trigger whenever Discord is on? Because I'm using both PC and Discord for working purposes too, and being limited to slow download speeds are worst while working, and enabling/disabling the rule manually is practically a nightmare to do every download.

I'm on a XR1000, latest firmware.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Discord traffic triggering Gaming Service on Traffic Prioritization

How do you have Traffic Prioritization set up exactly?
Message 2 of 10
Pipodi
Tutor

I have disabled DumaOS Classified Games and Work At Home. I have created two Games Console rules, one for my Steam Deck and one for my PC, both set up as Games Console in Device Manager. I have no other rules.

Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Remove the Games Console rule for the PC and make an Advanced rule with the following information:
Source 1-65535
Destination 1024 - 49999
Protocol TCP/UDP
then see if it continues to prioritize games when needed and excludes Discord
Message 4 of 10
Pipodi
Tutor

It stays on even with Discord off, shouldn't be the range (at least for TCP ports, I think this will prioritize even browser traffic) smaller that that? 

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It should be fine as the destination is above browser traffic ports but try this, we'll make two rules instead:
Source 1-65535
Destination 1024 - 49999
Protocol TCP

Source 444-65535
Destination 1024 - 49999
Protocol UDP
Message 6 of 10
Pipodi
Tutor

Ok, this seems to work, but I've disabled the TCP rule because I've discovered that some clients (Battle.net, Steam) have active connections within that range, so they are triggering the TCP rule even in idle, without any game running. This should be fine too, because most of multiplayer packets are UDP if I am not mistaken.

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's right, if that's what works best then great! If you notice a game not prioritizing enable the other rule again and see if it works.
Message 8 of 10
Pipodi
Tutor

Is it possible somehow to exclude some apps from the prioritization? I've found that Microsoft Teams sends UDP packets while streaming, hence triggering the UDP rule

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I'm afraid that's not currently possible. How many packets approximately is team sending? If it's not too many it won't cause any problems.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7