× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does "Region Selection" matter?

Does "Region Selection" matter?

Hello Netgear Family!

I just had a quick question. Under "Settings > Setup > Wireless Setup", does the "Region Selection" make a difference to my connection? If I set this to Europe, will I get connected to servers in Europe? I live in India, so should I set this to India? and will this effect anything? It's not a pressing matter, but I was just curious.

Thank you! 🙂

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Does "Region Selection" matter?

@shaanshivananda wrote:

I just had a quick question. Under "Settings > Setup > Wireless Setup", does the "Region Selection" make a difference to my connection?

WiFi channels are regulated in each region.  For instance, Japan allows WiFi channel 14 for 802.11b - other countries don't allow it at all.  In addition to the legal WiFi channel list, the WiFi power limit also varies by region - and sometimes those limits are set differently for specific WiFi channels.  

You should set the region correctly - ensuring that your equipment is compliant with the laws in your particular country.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@shaanshivananda wrote:

I just had a quick question. Under "Settings > Setup > Wireless Setup", does the "Region Selection" make a difference to my connection?

WiFi channels are regulated in each region.  For instance, Japan allows WiFi channel 14 for 802.11b - other countries don't allow it at all.  In addition to the legal WiFi channel list, the WiFi power limit also varies by region - and sometimes those limits are set differently for specific WiFi channels.  

You should set the region correctly - ensuring that your equipment is compliant with the laws in your particular country.  

Message 2 of 4

Hello @StephenB,

Thank you so much for the prompt response.

As per your advice, I have set the router region to my country. I was not aware of the legal implications of Region Selection. Very interesting.

Thanks

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 4
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Yeah in some countries they reserve certain channels for military use, and I know that for example the EU doesn't allow you to use 5GHz WiFi for any outdoor appliance.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7