× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Double nat xr500

Alvarommb
Guide

Double nat xr500

I have my ISP router (askey tcg-220) in bridge mode as a modem and the xr500 as a router, it’s posible that I can have double nat issues?, how can I test that?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Open a Command Prompt (on a Windows PC that’s connected to the internet, click on the Start menu, type “cmd,” and hit Enter) and type “tracert 8.8.8.8“ to see the traceroute to Google’s DNS server. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good

Message 2 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@plemans  it could be carrier grade NAT, too ... 

Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

@schumaku I got nothing. Now I'm traveling down a rabbit hole of research as I do some education 🙂 

Message 4 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Sorry @Alvarommb  for the excursion....

@plemans start reading here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT - as more and more ISP run out of public IPv4 routeable addresses, they assign either RFC 6598 (or even RFC1918 private IP addresses). It's like a phone number where you can't call the phone number, but can only dial-out. You will understand this easily - your know-how and assistance in this community is great!

Message 5 of 18
Alvarommb
Guide

Ok so Thais os the result of mu tracert
1 3ms 2ms 2ms 192.168.1.1
2 30ms 15ms 39ms 10.74.0.1
Message 6 of 18
Alvarommb
Guide

Ok so This is the result of my tracert
1 3ms 2ms 2ms 192.168.1.1
2 30ms 15ms 39ms 10.74.0.1
Message 7 of 18
schumaku
Guru

What ISP are we facing here?

Based on the latency of the 10.74.0.1 I guess it might be kind of carrier grade (or some in-house/in-building) NAT - unlikley something just away one GbE link like a cable modem/router.

Compare the IP address assigned to the XR500 WAN/Internet port with the Google "what is my IP address" (e.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+my+ip+address ) with the information visible on the router Web UI - Advanced Tab - Internet Port - Internet Address (when I have it right).

Google what is my IP address.PNG

Message 8 of 18
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

That looks okay to me, one private address, one public.

Message 9 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma_Alex wrote:

That looks okay to me, one private address, one public.

Welcome to the Netgear Community, glad we have some new faces helping here!

I'm afraid, 10.74.0.1 is an RFC 1918 address, not a public IP, see below. It might be possibe that this is just used as an intermediate network however.

===

3. Private Address Space

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the
   following three blocks of the IP address space for private internets:

10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)
     172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)
     192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

===

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
Try option #2...

@Alvarommb wrote:
I have my ISP router (askey tcg-220) in bridge mode as a modem and the xr500 as a router, it’s posible that I can have double nat issues?, how can I test that?

Message 11 of 18
Alvarommb
Guide

It’s movistar from Peru, and yes the ip in whatsmiip web and thone in the NG router under wan ip is the same
Message 12 of 18
Alvarommb
Guide

On whatsismiip on google says:

Su IPv4 público es: 201.230.7.22
Su IPv6 es: No detectado
ISP: Telefonica del Peru S.A.A.
Message 13 of 18
Alvarommb
Guide

In my router the bridge mode is by clicking the “Gateway Residencial” (in spanish) option, and by checking the box it deseables all WiFi conections, and change my ip from private to public, the dmz option was there before I put it in bridge mode, now the dmz option is not there, and mi NG router is in router mode, mi NG router wan ip show 201.230.7.22 and whatsmyip on google are the same, when I restart my ISP router (modem) the up doesn’t change
Message 14 of 18
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Well that sounds to me like it's working...

Message 15 of 18
Alvarommb
Guide

I think that too, but every time I play FIFA 19 on my PS4, no mater what I do, I can’t get a single match with less than 100/120ms ping, even playing with a friend that is here in the same town, thats why I think maybe some double nat issue, but I thinks that’s not the case, in the dumaos is there any way to see my internet latency or my ISP signal quality? I have check the performance panel but I really don’t know what window to look at or what parameter are good/bad
Message 16 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@Alvarommb wrote:
In my router the bridge mode is by clicking the “Gateway Residencial” (in spanish) option, and by checking the box it deseables all WiFi conections, and change my ip from private to public, the dmz option was there before I put it in bridge mode, now the dmz option is not there, and mi NG router is in router mode, mi NG router wan ip show 201.230.7.22 and whatsmyip on google are the same, when I restart my ISP router (modem) the up doesn’t change

That far, that good ...

Coming back onto the 10.x.x.x address you see in the tracert. The same ISP is offering tripple-play services including VoIP and IPTV, and making use of three VLANs (6: Internet, 3: VoIP, 2: IPTV when I remember right what Telefonica/Movistar is using) on the effective WAN/Internet connection - and they make use of 10.x.x.x addresses for both IPTV and VoIP, too. Well possible they use some RFC 1918 intermediate subnetworks also for the data path.

Haven't spotted anything strange on the way from to your Internet connection - beside of some of the last hops don't show details, easy reachable in the 80ms range from gblx.net in Lima.

Message 17 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The high ping is very likely due to your location, I know FIFA sometimes uses servers and I doubt they have any where you are. Are you using the Geo-Filter to try and force games closest to you?
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7