× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Double nat

Manuellll
Apprentice

Double nat

put in the exposed host of the fritz box 7590 my modem the ip wan of the router but anyway I have the double nat how do I avoid this thing given that in gaming

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

So do you want to use the XR300 as an access point for your fritz box or do you want the XR300 to be the router, and the fritz box to just be a modem?

Message 2 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

If the isp modem can't be bridged fully, then the DMZ on the modem will be the best only solution for using the XR router with the modem/router combo. DMZ helps wtih the double NAT issue. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 3 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

exactly I would like this that the fritz acts as a modem and xr500 from a router avoiding micro lag and double nat as I need it to play

Message 4 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.

Message 5 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Somebody in this forum post seems to know how to do it: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1883843

Message 6 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

by chance there is a video since maybe my interface is different and I am not very practical in English

Message 7 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Message 8 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

i should have put it as the guy in the forum says but what should change set so it doesn't automatically find those settings? why now it should be in bridge and not before? especially how can I tell if I solved the double nat?

Message 9 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this a modem you bought yourself or one that came from the ISP? 

You might ask your ISP if they have a modem only unit that can be swapped in place for this modem/router combo unit. 

Over all, if you use the current modem/router combo unit and it's in router mode, all you need to do use use it's DMZ for the IP address the XR router gets from the modem. 

Message 10 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

You'd have to contact Fritzbox to find out how to put it into modem mode I think. Not many people seem to want to use it as a modem. I can't find any videos with instructions on how to set it up as a standalone modem. It might be better just to get a cheap standalone modem on Amazon or something. I wonder are you using the Fritzbox because it's the only modem you have, or because your ISP requires it?

Message 11 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

actually i also have a d6400 always netgear this has given me my isp so the exposed host does not avoid the double nat? nor the configuration on the forum that you linked to me? in a nutshell I can't use the xr500 with my fritz box modem?

Message 12 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Over all, you can use the XR router if you use the current modem/router combo unit and it's in router mode, all you need to do use use it's DMZ for the IP address the XR router gets from the modem. 

Message 13 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

but the fritz box dont have DMZ, it has only the exposed host

Message 14 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

DMZ=Exposed Host. 

Message 15 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

so why more devices execute the nat if two ip wan of the router are left in the exposed host?

Message 16 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Only 1 IP address is allowed in the DMZ/Exposed Host. This is where you place the IP address that the XR router gets on its WAN port. Then this will help with double NAT conditions. 

Message 17 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

so is it normal that I always see that I have two nats even putting the XR ip wan in the exposed host?

Message 18 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. this is only for modems with routers built in that can't be bridged. 

Message 19 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you definitely put the correct WAN IP in the exposed host? WAN IP is found in System Information on the router.
Message 20 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

put it right maybe I have to put the static ip on both the router and the modem to the router? at the moment I just put that the fritz box gives a static ip to the router and left it automatic on the xr500, ah and it is right that the gateway of xr500 is 192.168.1.1 and that of the fritz box instead 192.168.178.1

Message 21 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That static configuration you have now is fine. That's fine, so you put a 192.168.178.X address into the exposed host then correct? Remove your console from the Geo-Filter also, does that affect NAT? Are you using the VPN feature?
Message 22 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

in the exposed host I put the ip wan that gave me from the router interface no good? no, I don't have my console in the geo filter because if I had it I had to take it off? about the VPN theoretically if the netgear or the fritzbox didn't set them in the car I didn't create vpn

Message 23 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

WAN IP from System info is correct yes. Put the console in the DMZ on the XR router, does that resolve the issue?
Message 24 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

why should I put the dmz in the exposed host router too no good?

Message 25 of 71
Discussion stats
  • 70 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7