× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Double nat

FURRYe38
Guru

The DMZ is not used on the XR router for any game consoles. uPnP on the XR router will handle ports needed for the game console. Just use the Exposted Host for the XR router on the modem and leave the game console out of the DMZ on the XR router. 

Message 26 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I meant put the console in the XR router DMZ, leaving your existing exposed host settings as they are. Having console in DMZ on the router can usually resolve NAT issues if UPnP/Port forwarding isn't working
Message 27 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

I have a PC not a console and I don't think it's safe to put it in dmz or am I wrong? it is better not to put the nat on the xr from protected to open

Message 28 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Wouldn't advise for a PC. How are you detecting the double NAT? Can you provide a screenshot where it says this please?
Message 29 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

here it is, it's Italian says more devices are running nat nat.PNG

Message 30 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

can you see the picture? what do you think if you put the nat on the xr from protected to open it could solve the problem?

Message 31 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

• The Fritzbox must be in Bridge Mode 
  • If Bridge Mode is not available then the XR300 must be in the DMZ of the Fritzbox
  • Copy the WAN IP from the System Information page of the XR300, and paste that IP address into the DMZ setting of your Fritzbox
  • Delete any port forwarding rules that you have set up on the XR300
  • Make sure that UPnP is ENABLED on the XR300

Message 32 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

as I mentioned earlier my modem or the fritz box does not have the dmz but the exposed host which does not allow me to avoid the double nat but have I already put the xr ip and why should I close the portforwarding? UPnP is already active and I can't find this bridge option in the modem

Message 33 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

this is the only thing I found in the fritz box about bridge is what did you mean? but beyond the vlan vpi options and vci the rest I have to put?

Message 34 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is the NAT error actually giving you any issues in game at all?
Message 35 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

yes, to the point of annoying microlag 

Message 36 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's not necessarily to do with the NAT, what's the average ping you're getting to the game? Are you using the Geo-Filter? Are you using QoS to prevent local congestion?
Message 37 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

yes all active except geo filter I usually wander around 30 40 of ping so I don't think it's that

Message 38 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Could you please download the free version of Pingplotter and take a screenshot of your results over a few minutes so that we can get an idea of the kind of microlag you're dealing with.

Message 39 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

I downloaded it but I don't know how to run the test by never having used it

Message 40 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

Message 41 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

You have a router at 192.168.178.1.

What is the MFr and model# of this router with 192.168.178.1? Is this the ISP modem with built in router? 

Message 42 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

è un fritz box 7590 si è questo

Message 43 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

This was already suggested in an initial post regarding this issue. 

Message 44 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Also your base ping is showing as very high. Would suggest you ping a different address and see what that gives you.
Message 45 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

I could solve by putting a modem always netgear the d400 with the router xr500 but how should I configure the modem to put the xr500 correctly in cascade? then you could recommend me a modem that is fine with both the fttc and ftth since soon I'll probably get the ftth and the d6400 is no good as a modem

Message 46 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

With a modem you can just leave it as standard as all it does it pass traffic to the router
Message 47 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

what do you mean to leave it standard?

Message 48 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As in you don't need to change any settings on the modem, should be plug and play
Message 49 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

I put the d6400 in modem mode only is it right or not? and maybe recommend a netgear modem that does not cost too much supporting the fttc and ftth line since I will soon switch to the ftth and the d6400 only supports fttc? I'd just need a good modem for my xr500 router that has these features, thanks

Message 50 of 71
Discussion stats
  • 70 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7