× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Double nat

FURRYe38
Guru

If you put the D6400 in modem only mode then you should be good to go there.

Check with your future ISP first to see what they support on there system for types of modems with out built in routers. They should have a list of modems to look at. 

Netgears CM series are cable modems only.

Netgeard DM series are DSL modems only. 

Any C#### or D#### series are modems with built in routers. 

Message 51 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

in what sense should I check if the ISP is compatible with the netgear modem? for now i am using the d6400 in modem mode only and it seems to be okay apart from the fact that the xr500 is not opening my doors with upnp just this i should fix, so can you make a specific model for ftth?

Message 52 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes check with your ISP to see what they support. 

Message 53 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

One thing that may seem trivial but the static ip for enabling game ports is not enough for me to insert it from the router or do I also have to set it on the device where I enable the ports? thank you

Message 54 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

You should only have to set it on the router. If you do set it manually from the device, make sure it reflects what you've set up in the router. A conflict of settings would be a big problem.

Message 55 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

for the moment I keep it static only from the router to the device but shouldn't the static device be too so as not to create conflicts?

Message 56 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

It depends if the router is giving the computer the correct static IP that you set.

Message 57 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

a question if I had to open more doors than more games to a single ip address would be a problem? Or can I quietly open the ports I want of any game?

Message 58 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

No I think that would be fine.

Message 59 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

Ok so I can open the doors I want at the same time and not suffer problems in the right game?

Message 60 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can forward as many ports as you want to a device, if you try to open that exact same port on another device thats when it will likely not let you.
Message 61 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

assuming that I open the same port on another device but only one is online has made me or does not make me open it equally

Message 62 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The actual port forwarding page would not let you apply the same port to different devices so that's not applicable unfortunately.
Message 63 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

I understand but it is correct to make the port forward if the upnp does not work and above all to perform the portforward really improves the online gaming experience?

Message 64 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If UPnP is not opening your NAT then port forwarding or DMZ will work. It’s not necessarily going to give you a better experience as it’s mostly just to ensure you are able to connect online properly.
Message 65 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

a question about the IPs reserved by the router or manually on the device, what is the best practice to carry out and if both are used for the same device? or do you advise me to choose one of the two if so which one? I'm confused

Message 66 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Use only a reserved or static IP address per one device. Not both. 

Recommended uses are for devices that don't need much router management, set static IP addresses ON devices. Devices like printers, controlllers, NAS, some phones, etc. For devices that need some router management, use reserved IP addresses for these. Devices like game consoles, some PCs and phones. 

Set a default IP address pool, 192.168.1.100 to.200. Then use either side of this pool for static IP addressed devices. The pool is used for reserved IP addresses. 

@Manuellll wrote:

a question about the IPs reserved by the router or manually on the device, what is the best practice to carry out and if both are used for the same device? or do you advise me to choose one of the two if so which one? I'm confused

Message 67 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

so for example to my pc I set up a reserved ip that goes from 100 to 200 right? for example 192.168.1.100

Message 68 of 71
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

You don't need to reserve 100 IP addresses for your computer. Just give it a reserved address like 100 or 101. If you're setting a static IP (which is a different thing from a reserved IP!) then you should set it outside of that range, so 99 or 201

Message 69 of 71
Manuellll
Apprentice

I have reserved 192.168.1.20 to my pc you say that it is better to put 1.100 or 1.101?

Message 70 of 71
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Either should be absolutely fine.
Message 71 of 71
Discussion stats
  • 70 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7