× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dropping of internet

Killhippie
Prodigy

Dropping of internet

I noticed today that when the XR500 looses its internet connection briefly due to say DLM intervention it did not display an orange light on the front and when the internet came back up  all the lights were on  as usual even he interface said it was connected, but neither ethernet ports or Wi-Fi could access the Internet.  I had to turn the XR500 off and back on again for to reconnect. Also I noticed when you log in the CPU spikes to about 80% which is pretty high and the same because when you skip through the menus. Not quite sure what’s happening here with cpu useable or internet connection, but if the Internet drops it’s possible the router will not reconnect even though it looks like it has. Any ideas would be  appreciated, I’m running the latest version of firmware and the router was hard reset after the firmware was updated and all settings added again manually.  

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How often is it going down? Are there any other occurrences of this happening?
Message 2 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

This is the first time my line has dropped since I’ve had the router. The DLM gave a few Mbps extra but if this is a trait of this firmware then it would seem like the router dropped. I had to look in the logs to see what had happened. But rebooting was the only way to get connection back.  I was wondering if other people who have lost connection may have actually had their Internet dropped and the router didn’t pick up PPP  or shown the amber light like mine.

Message 3 of 10
BIG_DOG
Luminary

I have had this issue happen to me when my modem has lost connection and resynced. I am assuming and I think I am 99% right that the XR500 does not detect that the IP address has changed and still shows connected and only a reboot forces it to check for a new IP. That has only happened to me once and I felt it was so minor an issue I did not report it. To have DLM do that to you then it is either your modem or aline fault as the XR500 cannot cause DLM intervention.

Message 4 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

I know the  XR500 is not effecting DLM they have been putting new line cards in my cab hence there’s been some DLM changes recently.   I have a static IP though so the router should recognise the IP when the internet comes back up. It was showing the correct IP, not sure if it grabbed the DNS correctly though. Still the internet light on the router should go orange when it looses its connection and I didn’t see that also if it has no PPP  it should show no connection after the line comes up as an orange internet light not a white one. It acted like a stale session but the outage was about a minute according to the logs. 

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please keep an eye on it and let us know if it happens again! You could pass the info & logs over to Neil who can forward to Dev team to look at.
Message 6 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

I’ve let Neil know, I haven’t got the logs because I had to reboot the router in a hurry but I have explained it to him he was busy today so hopefully I’ll hear something tomorrow. Odd thing was as the router lost internet and came back up but had no connection it logged a lot of either false positive DoS attacks Or real ones and I have to say this router seems to attract a lot of these in the logs. I’m not sure if there is a correlation between the DoS attacks and the router not reconnecting, but something isn’t right here. Thanks for the help Fraser.
Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I shouldn't think so but a good spot. You're welcome, do let us know if it happens again.
Message 8 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

Oh one thing I forgot to mention was the router was downloading the current PS4 patch 5.53 at the time too, so not sure if the download and the loss of either PPP or sync and the DoS attack are in anyway connected but thought you should have all the info. I'll pass all this on to Neil. 

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The patch could explain the DoS entries, thanks for the additional info!
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7