× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DumaOS Admin Screen with Nighthawk XR500 in AP Mode

LoreeSelmer
Guide

DumaOS Admin Screen with Nighthawk XR500 in AP Mode

I just set up my Nighthawk XR500 in AP mode with dynamic address. The Internet (WAN) RJ45 port is connected to my Frontier FiOS router, and the XR500 is running firmware version V2.3.2.114. WiFi SSIDs and Keys are configured and guest networks are disabled. Wired and WiFi connections are all working very well, there are no issues with functionality or stability.

The question I have relates to the left panel options on the DumaOS main screen when I login to the router as admin. When I first logged in to begin the configuration process there were a lot of features in the left panel: Dashboard, Geo Filter, QoS, Device Manager, Network Monitor, System Information and Settings.

After configuring the XR500 for AP mode, the only feature appearing in the left panel is Settings, as seen in the included screenshot.

I understand that certain aspects of router functionality don't apply to AP mode, but very many things are still relevant. For example, in Dashboard I would expect to see Guest Wireless Status, Wireless Status, Network Overview, CPU Usage, Installed R-Apps and relevant fields in Internet Status. QoS may not be at all relevant in AP mode, but I would expect the feature to be grayed out in this case instead of removed.

I'm very surprised to see all features other than Settings completely disappear from the left panel.

Is this normal and expected when in AP mode? 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that is normal for AP mode, if you want to use any of the DumaOS features then it has to be in router mode

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that is normal for AP mode, if you want to use any of the DumaOS features then it has to be in router mode
Message 2 of 4
LoreeSelmer
Guide

Thank you very much! I was pretty sure this was the case, and if it is clearly noted anywhere I was unable to find it. I understand that AP mode is a very limited subset of router functionality, but was surprised to see things like internet connection status, CPU utilization and traffic monitoring become completely unavailable in the management UI.

I've moved back to router mode, still connected to Internet through my FiOS router, each managing it's own subnet. Addresses are served as 10.0.0.X from the XR500 and 192.168.1.X from the FiOS G1100.

Best to you and many thanks once again.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

AP mode essentially turns off DumaOS so to allow select parts of DumaOS to run would be more difficult and I think if you're putting a router in AP mode most will just want the WiFi to work. Put the XR WAN IP from the System Information page in the FiOS DMZ and you'll prevent a double NAT.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7