× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet access to local devices on network very slow but Wifi fast

seifer
Aspirant

Ethernet access to local devices on network very slow but Wifi fast

I have just gone from a FritzBox router to a brand new Netgear XR500 with latest firmware. The internet speed for devices on my network both ethernet and WIFI is great however when I try to access some local devices on the network (Hikvision camera, smart phone with app acting as a web service) the speed can be very bad - but the catch is only when accessing via a device connected by Ethernet.

- When trying to connnect via a PC (Windows 10) to the device directly with IP address using ethernet the page will either not load at all or take around a minute to load and be broken CSS wise which indicates it didn't load fully. If the camera loads it only loads one frame and nothing else and shortly after times out.

- Only devices on ethernet suffer this problem. The same or different device attempting to access these devices via WIFI connects fast without any issue.

- I've tried another machine (Windows 7) with a different ethernet cable plugged into a different port of the router and the same issue. Again if I use WIFI on that machine instead it can access the other device fast.

- From the PC with ethernet I can ping the trouble device from command prompt and each packet returns relatively fast (<20ms)

- Connections from this PC using ethernet to these devices was super fast before switching the router. Nothing but the router has changed

- The PC with ethernet can transfer fast to another Windows machine on WIFI via copying over the network, perhaps that uses a common port or something? I'm assuming these apps use a random port.

- I've tried factory reseting the router but it didn't help.

I've Googled, read these forums, done all sorts of tests and haven't been able to work out whats wrong. Any ideas or should I just ask the manufacturer/ retailer for a refund for a faulty product?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ethernet access to local devices on network very slow but Wifi fast

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Message 2 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's odd. Have you purchased the router first hand?

Might be worth giving NETGEAR support a call / live chat, sounds like you have a hardware issue: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 3 of 9
seifer
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies.

Firmware Version V2.3.2.32
DumaOS Name A7Legit

The modem is a called ONT which is the standard modem given for fibre access in New Zealand. Here's some more info: https://www.chorus.co.nz/q

No switch used, only plugged in directly from an ethernet port from the PC to router. Router is brand new from a reputable store

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Weird that it only affects wired connections as you would expect something like that to affect both. The only thing I can think of would be to untick Disable IGMP Proxying in WAN Settings. Other than that I would too advise contacting Netgears support.
Message 5 of 9
seifer
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work (actually made it so I couldn't access the devices from WIFI either). I'll contact support.

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, keep us updated on your progress with the ticket.
Message 7 of 9
seifer
Aspirant

NetGear phone support are hopeless I'm afraid. Returning the unit for a refund.

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that seifer. Did you get a chance to try with the firmware update a few days ago? That may have resolved it.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7