• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Highlighted
Aspirant

Ethernet ports not working properly since I enabled vlan id2 for VDSL internet

Hi guys,

I've had my XR500 for about a month and everything was working perfectly, I was using it to control my ADSL2 modem which was in bridge mode. This week we got connected to the NBN (Australian VDSL broadband - FTTC for those in the know with the NCD) and I was keen to keep using my XR500 in place and just update the WAN settings. It turns out with our VDSL we need to enable a vlan with id2 but I found the option in advanced and turned it on. All of the WiFi devices have internet but anything I have plugged into the ethernet ports does not work properly. For example my server which has Windows shares, it takes about 30 seconds to open a folder and you're not able to copy anything. It's also running an IP camera server (blue iris) which has 6 cameras connected to it. The server can only communicate with two of the cameras. Oddly the devices can access the internet at full speed but communication with ethernet and wifi devices is unusable.

Surprisingly when I unplug the server or any device from the XR500 and use WiFi all of the cameras appear and it works perfectly (though too slow to be usable as a server). I thought it could be an issue with the server I was running (Server 2012) so I installed Windows 10 and it still has the same issue. The server has a static IP address but I did also try with a dynamic address just in case it didn't like that.

I've tried tweaking so many settings and was even considering setting up a bridge network of some sort with the NBN included router (TP-Link Archer TP1600v) but failed miserably.

I've seen some people trying different firmwares to get their ethernet ports working and it turned out there was a problem in the software. Could that be the case or could there be something I'm missing with the configuration? I'm running the latest firmware "XR500 V2.3.2.40".

EDIT: Did many complete restores

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Ethernet ports not working properly since I enabled vlan id2 for VDSL internet

Just to add (I don't know where the edit button's gone lol) even with the VLAN set, as soon as I disconnect the ethernet cable connecting the NCD to the router it's able to connect to all cameras and when I connect it, it loses connection to all but the two that remain working. I also noticed I can't ping the server anymore from my notebook.

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Ethernet ports not working properly since I enabled vlan id2 for VDSL internet

The plot thickens? I've changed the XR500 to AP mode, using the Archer router (WiFi disabled on Archer) as a DHCP server and using that to connect to the internet.  Got them connected to each other through the LAN ports on both devices. The DHCP (on Archer) is giving out IP addresses perfectly. I still CANNOT connect to devices plugged into the ethernet ports of the XR500 even after another factory reset. When I try to ping my iPhone that's on the XR500 WiFi when I'm using the Server that's on XR500 ethernet it won't work saying "Destination Host Unreachable (with a different IP address from the phone?).

What does it all mean?

Sorry I'm not too savvy with deep networking stuff.

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

I recommend you contact NG support and ask for this beta:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/xr500-LAN-ports-sometime-will-stop-wor...

@mrjustinmarsh wrote:

Hi guys,

I've had my XR500 for about a month and everything was working perfectly, I was using it to control my ADSL2 modem which was in bridge mode. This week we got connected to the NBN (Australian VDSL broadband - FTTC for those in the know with the NCD) and I was keen to keep using my XR500 in place and just update the WAN settings. It turns out with our VDSL we need to enable a vlan with id2 but I found the option in advanced and turned it on. All of the WiFi devices have internet but anything I have plugged into the ethernet ports does not work properly. For example my server which has Windows shares, it takes about 30 seconds to open a folder and you're not able to copy anything. It's also running an IP camera server (blue iris) which has 6 cameras connected to it. The server can only communicate with two of the cameras. Oddly the devices can access the internet at full speed but communication with ethernet and wifi devices is unusable.

Surprisingly when I unplug the server or any device from the XR500 and use WiFi all of the cameras appear and it works perfectly (though too slow to be usable as a server). I thought it could be an issue with the server I was running (Server 2012) so I installed Windows 10 and it still has the same issue. The server has a static IP address but I did also try with a dynamic address just in case it didn't like that.

I've tried tweaking so many settings and was even considering setting up a bridge network of some sort with the NBN included router (TP-Link Archer TP1600v) but failed miserably.

I've seen some people trying different firmwares to get their ethernet ports working and it turned out there was a problem in the software. Could that be the case or could there be something I'm missing with the configuration? I'm running the latest firmware "XR500 V2.3.2.40".

EDIT: Did many complete restores

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 4