× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Exchange xr500 for xr700

Gimli
Tutor

Exchange xr500 for xr700

I have a netgear xr500 worth exchanging for netgear xr700? Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Gimli
Tutor

Thank you!!!! Topic resolved !!!!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's entirely up to you and based upon your needs. Personally, unless the XR500 is failing to deliver the WiFi range or speeds you need then I wouldn't say it is necessary to upgrade at this stage. The hardware of course is faster so as we add more features this may be beneficial in the future if you don't see a need now.
Message 2 of 5
Gimli
Tutor

Thanks for answering!!!!
1- My modem is FTTH, 300 fiber, has no input for SFP technology only normal lan. However, the netgear xr700 has a cable entry with Gigabyte SFP technology.
If I connect the netgear xr700 to a modem lan, and using SFP from the router connected to an SFP network card on my PC will it make a difference?
Or would the modem also have to have an SFP input connected to the router to take better advantage of the speed of the inernet?

2- I know that this router has a Plex system, can I insert an external HD and configure Plex system on my TV, or on more TVs at home?

3_ I saw that inside the XR700 it has 2 internal coolers, if in the future you need to change them, would you find these coolers for replacement?

Thank you

Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're welcome! To answer your questions:

1. Well you don't have gigabit or above internet so it wouldn't increase your internet speeds. If you were to use a SFP enabled PC with that port then you would have a much faster local network between the router and PC. So for example if you were to use Plex then you could upload a movie from your PC to the router HD much faster than if you were to use a normal LAN port.
2. Yes
3. No not that I am aware of and would breach your warranty if you were to open the casing.
Message 4 of 5
Gimli
Tutor

Thank you!!!! Topic resolved !!!!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7