× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extreme gaming lag on raids.

EQJunky
Guide

Extreme gaming lag on raids.

I play an mmorpg called Everquest with 53 other people weekly. While burning a target on raids the lag is extremely bad, so bad I can’t click my buttons. Many other people in the raids have complained of the same problem. It mainly happens when we are stacked up together clicking at the same time. I’ve tried about every different percentage adjusting bufferbloat in the router and in the switch. I’ve gotten A plus times 3 in dsl reports. My ping is manageable at around 50ms And my fps is around 60. I built a new computer strictly to play this game. The hardware is actually overkill for the game. I have a 1gig down and 40mps up connection through xfinity. This has been a frustrating problem that I’ve been trying to fix for months now. Just wondering if folks have any suggestions or ideas as to how I might be able to correct this problem? Thanks..
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the XR router connected to the S8000 switch and your game device behind he switch? 

What happens if you just connect the XR only with your gamimg device with out the switch in the mix? 

IF others are seeing same thing in the game, possible this is a Mfr of the game and game service issue.

What happens if you disable QOS and Anti Buffer features on the XR router, save settings and reboot the router and modem? 

What Fw version is loaded on the XR router? 

Might narrow this down even farther and connect up your gaming device directly to the modem and test the game out. 

Message 2 of 16
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

When you say that other people in the raid have complained about the same problem, do you mean that they are experiencing the same lag on their end, or that they are noticing that YOU are lagging specifically?

If it's the former, it suggests it might be a problem inherent to the game itself and not something that can be fixed from your end. If it's the latter, then we can work out some settings to improve matters.

Message 3 of 16
EQJunky
Guide

Yes others have complained about having the same issues on their end. It makes sense that it could be just packets getting qued on upload because of congestion? As we are all packed close together slamming buttons at the same time. At one point I had it set so that the lag was minimal but then kept trying to tweak my settings and it went back to the extreme lag situation. I’ve tried taking the switch out of the equation and just connecting my PC directly into the router but it still lagged.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

All this gaming with your friends at your home and all connected to the same router or at different locations? 

And if you connect your PC directly to the ISP modem and game there, no lag? 

Message 5 of 16
EQJunky
Guide

We are all connected at our individual homes located in different states etc. We aren't all at my house.

I just removed the switch from the setup and connected the PC directly into the router. When I connect the PC straight to the modem I dont get internet access for some reason.

The problem is we only raid a few nights a week and the lag only happens at certain points on certain events when we are all burning and stacked on top of one another so its hard to test when I make changes outside of raiding hours. 

Message 6 of 16
EQJunky
Guide

I also did a factory reset on the router and set the bufferbloat sliders back to 70. I inputed my PC as a console so it would show up on the Geo filter again. 

Message 7 of 16
EQJunky
Guide

Its weird that under autoping it will say the ping to the server is 25 but in the game its double that and says 50?

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to power off the modem for 30 seconds then back on. Make sure your PCs netowrking configuration is set for auto obtain IP addressing. The PC will get a public IP address probably about a minute or two after the modem is online. This would help narrow this down to weather this maybe a game issue or router issue. 

If others in your game group notice this as well from there locations, I would presume this is not a router issue, rather a game service issue. 

You might contact the game Mfr and ask them about any information regarding this and see if they have any kind of information about router configurations if needed. 

There are many factor in seen LAG, Can gome from services, other gamers, ISP services and speeds used. Users using wireless connections for gaming rather the wired. And router configurations as well. 

Message 9 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Difference between ping on Geo-Filter and server is that the server is including things like processing delay which all games have but not all decide to show. To me it sounds like an actual server issue that it's not able to handle the multiple actions in one area. Your ping and hardware is fine so I don't think that is the cause.
Message 10 of 16
EQJunky
Guide

It seems like my best dslreports bufferbloat readings and my lowest game lag and ping occurs when I have QOS and Antibufferbloat completely turned off on the XR500 and my S8000 switch set to 256out and 16in. I just don't get why I paid $350 for a router when I get my best readings with all of its functions turned off and the $80 switches functions turned on. Seems like I wasted $350 on a Netgear router when I should have kept my old Comcast router and just ran the S8000 $80 switch. 

Message 11 of 16
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't nessercarily trust the DSLreports stats on anti-bufferbloat. They're tuned to detect stuff like fq-codel, which is a commonly used anti-bufferbloat technique. DSLreports isn't tuned to detect the DumaOS anti-bufferbloat, which is an entirely different method that we developed in house.

Message 12 of 16
CSPHX101
Aspirant

I normally shut the modem down for 30 second when I switch the device connected to the modem.

As for speed or lag when others connect to your server at home they are using mostly your upload speed which is 40Mbps since your connection is 1024 Mbps Down and 40 Mbps Up.

In my experience with this router even if you have a Gig Speed connection this router will only go upto !/2 a Gigabit per second max.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 13 of 16
EQJunky
Guide

So even though my speed results at Speedtest.net is 950 should I only input 500 download speed into the bufferbloat QOS input of the router?
Message 14 of 16
EQJunky
Guide

It’s usually just me playing at my house so nobody else is using up the 40 mbps upload.
Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No I wouldn't suggest doing that, you may throttle your connection unnecessarily, unless you want to actively use QoS then a good way of doing that would be to put in lower speeds then lower the percentage so you can be more precise.
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7