× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extremely Slow XR500 Router

my340i
Apprentice

Extremely Slow XR500 Router

Hey All, 

I have an extremely slow Nighthawk XR500 (Tested on V2.3.2.130 and V2.3.2.134) that is of course out of warranty. I am paying for 900 mbps which I am getting when wired to my modem. When I go through XR500 with a new cat6 cable (3ft) my speed is just gone by at least HALF, I get around 440mbps. My Wifi (3-4ft eyesight from router) drops to 330mbps on 5Ghz. Am I just out of luck with another dud of a router? 

I have already tried with Qos disabled and enabled - no difference

Factory restored - no difference

Modem is a Motorola Docsis 3.1

Thanks!

(Tested on V2.3.2.130 and V2.3.2.134)

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Any ideas on this? 

Message 2 of 41
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Apologies for the delayed response.

A few things:

• Have you factory reset since upgrading to the latest firmware?
  • Did you disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control?
  • If you run a Connection Benchmark test, are the speeds showing as being reduced here too?
  • Do you know if you require PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers to connect to the internet?
Message 3 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

No problem!

I have

I did - 3 line menu > QoS  > Congestion Control > Never

They are, they are right in line with my numbers posted above

They dont, its just a standard cable connection of 900mbps, I just upgraded from 800 thinking it was my modem the whole time causing this issue.

I also had Xfinity out to test the signal I'm receiving and its very good with little to no interference.

Message 4 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What model# is the ISP modem? 

Message 5 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

I first had a Surfboard SB6190 which is when I thought it was the modems problem, I then upgraded to a Motorola MB8611 and still now have the exact same problem which in my eyes has made it crystal clear I have another bad modem from Nighthawk. 

Message 6 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You would need to disable QoS from the 3 line menu top left of the Congestion Control panel to fully disable, then see if that improves. In this menu as well have you set the bandwidth speeds you expect?
Message 7 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Ahhh I got you now, that actually hurt it more with it completely off hah. Wired connection 304mbps. Yep the option for what is expected has always been set to 1000mpbs download and 100mbps upload. 

Message 8 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's impossible for it to make it worse, I can't see how that would have occurred at all. When you factory reset previously, did you restore a saved backup?
Message 9 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

I didnt restore, I have a pretty basic straight forward setup.

Ran some more tests again today and we are back up to the standard wired connection it was before, no difference with qos off.

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't see the picture until it's been moderated, can you attach directly or link from elsewhere?
Message 11 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Attached
Message 12 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As a test, and only for this test, then remove it, please put the PC in the DMZ in WAN Settings then run a speedtest, what do you get?
Message 13 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Sorry it took so long, work has been crazy over here. 

Added my PC to WAN DMZ and did 2 speed tests from different sites. 380mbps and 401mbps pretty much the same. 

Just disabled that setting after the tests.

Message 14 of 41
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Do you have an old router that you could put in-between the modem and the XR500?

We could then test if the XR500 is getting full speeds and if not we could also then put the XR500 into AP mode temporarily to narrow down the issue to either DumaOS or some NETGEAR settings.

Message 15 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What CAT# LAN cable do you have between the ISP modem and XR router? CAT6 is recommended. 

@my340i wrote:

I first had a Surfboard SB6190 which is when I thought it was the modems problem, I then upgraded to a Motorola MB8611 and still now have the exact same problem which in my eyes has made it crystal clear I have another bad modem from Nighthawk. 

Message 16 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

I dont but I'll drop by Best Buy after work and get something nice as it kinda seems thats what I will need to do to get my network back up to some what good speeds. 

I tested with CAT5e and CAT6 is there currently. I also terminated and tested my own CAT6 as well an no large differences. 

What CAT# LAN cable do you have between the ISP modem and XR router? CAT6 is recommended. 

@my340i wrote:

Message 17 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Alright went and grabbed another router from best buy! 

Wired 3 tests - 750,770, 785

Wireless 5ghz - 640, 655, 670

Message 18 of 41
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, is this with the XR500 in AP mode as a test?

Message 19 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Ahh no that was with the xr500 out of the loop.

After work today I'll put the xr500 on AP mode and use the new router and run more tests. 

Message 20 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

I am just so confused now, I waited at least 10 minutes for everything to settle then powered cycled everything and tested.

Modem >XR500 in AP Mode > AX2400 tester 

Laptop Wired to tester

842mbps

Laptop Wired to XR500

526 mbps

Phone 5Ghz Tester SSID

655 mbps average

Phone 5Ghz XR500 

480 mbps average

Message 21 of 41
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Very strange, what were you using to test the speeds? A third-party speed test like speedtest.net?

Were you connecting the Laptop to the XR500 with the same cable that connects the AX2400 to the XR500? i.e, disconnecting the 2400 and connecting the laptop with that same cable?

Message 22 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Right haha. I test 3 times and average them using https://www.speedtest.net/ , https://fast.com/ (always seems like its really low) and the built in speed test when you google speed test. 

Yeah I did, I already see where you are going.  I'll try out a couple cables.

Message 23 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Keep us posted!
Message 24 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

2 different CAT6 cables

Laptop to tester

810mbps, 830mbps