× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extremely Slow XR500 Router

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Revert back to router mode then could you disable Port and DoS protection in WAN Settings, also set NAT to Open and see if you get faster speeds then please?
Message 26 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Negative on that one. I did also go back to disabling QoS since I have never seen a benefit to this feature. 

Message 27 of 41
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Did you have these same issues prior to the full releases of DumaOS 3.0? For example, back on 2.3.2.114, did you have these issues? Or was this firmware before you picked up the XR500?

Message 28 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Nope, it unfortunately already had DumaOS. You know thinking back I had pretty close to these slow speeds since I got this router so I really don't think anything has changed much its just either a slow router or has a defect. I spent so much time from Comcast and having them do signal checks and improvements (service call) to replacing modems I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. Just kinda frustrating a close to $300 dollar router didnt last a couple years. I'm really kinda lost what to do now as I have used Nighthawk so long haha and theres no way Im using my companies hardware haha. 

Message 29 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It will always have had DumaOS but 3.0 is relatively new so depends when you purchased so worth trying one of the older versions to see whether it affects it at all: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#download
Message 30 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Tried 2 sub 3.0 firmwares and there was no noticeable change.

Message 31 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-from-the-M... then see if the speeds increase
Message 32 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

On it, soon as works over today I'll give it a shot!

Also ordered a RK1 router through my work since I get them at cost so I will have a permeant router to test with too. 

Message 33 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Process was straight forward and worked well. I used the test directly on the router as well so no options have been touched yet.

Also ran some speed tests using  speedtest, fast, and integrated speed test when you google speed test. (448, 380, 396)

Message 34 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's not too bad considering what it has set the speeds at, make sure to set the speeds you pay for then disable QoS fully and see what you get.
Message 35 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Done and done

Its definitely going to be bad though considering I'm 2ft from the router and 2ft away testing on Wifi. 

Testing wired right by the router, same 3 websites - 376, 385, 397

Testing just downstairs through one floor on 5ghz (I would say a total of 50ft) 285, 291,  311

Pretty close to giving up on this, really frustrating $250+ routers cant last 2 years and come with 1 year warranties. 

Message 36 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think it may be best at this point to contact Netgear directly and see if they can arrange a replacement for you: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 37 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

I wish, if you arent in warranty you cant even talk to them.

" I cannot find an answer to my problem, I would like to contact NETGEAR support. Based on your serial number and purchase date, NETGEAR can offer you the following support options:

SEARCH KNOWLEDGEBASE

VISIT COMMUNITY"

Message 38 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ah that's unfortunate. Okay as a test put your PC in the DMZ on the XR (remove once you've done the test), re-enable QoS and make a Traffic Prio rule for the PC, 1-65535 source & destination, TCP/UDP then see what speeds you get
Message 39 of 41
my340i
Apprentice

Can do, would you also enable ipv6 or leave it disabled as it is. 

Message 40 of 41
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Please leave it disabled for now thanks

Message 41 of 41
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7