× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FFXIV connection issues over Ethernet

Auron111
Aspirant

FFXIV connection issues over Ethernet

My setup is an Nighthawk XR500 + DM200 moden running ethernet from the router to my PC via a homeplug. a speed test shows the following :-

Ping- 13 ms 
Download - 67.25 mbps
Upload - 15.76 mbps

I used to play Final Fantasy XIV a lot on my 60hz monitor but recently I have upgraded to a 144hz monitor with a GTX 1080 to get a good fps of over 90 in the game. 
The game has a built in fps limiter and I have discovered If I disable it or cap it at 144fps the game disconnects me saying the connection to the sever was lost but if i limit my fps to 72 and under the game plays fine with no disconnects.

What I am confused with is if I play the game over Wifi I can disable the fps limit or cap it at 144fps and the game plays just fine.
I am rather confused why the Wifi has no problem yet my wired connection dows. 
It only happens in this game so far but I am wondering if ther is a peoblem with my router that is having an issue with my wired connection as a high fps. 

Here is a link to a youtube video showing the issue in game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHV-HQs7Kzk&t=6s
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: FFXIV connection issues over Ethernet

I've never heard of anything like this before. Could it just be coincidence? How often have you tested it over wireless?

If there is a problem, have you tried switching out the wires or the homeplug? I would be surprised if the problem if with the router.

Message 2 of 10
Auron111
Aspirant

Actually I have made some progress on the issue. 

I unpluged all my netgear equipment and plugging in my IPS router (BT HomeHub) And over Ethernet it worked fine no disconnection at all. 

Now I have just setup the DM200 as a normal router and tested the game over Ethernet and it is working fine to with no disconnections.

Only issue I am having now is when I set the DM200 into modem only mode my XR500 can't detect it or detect my internet connection. 

Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you got the XR500 set to use a static WAN IP or Internet Setup settings that are not correct for the DM200? If so make sure they're all automatic and try again.
Message 4 of 10
Auron111
Aspirant

I reset both the XR500 and DM200 to factory default which has fixed the issue I was having with the game in question. 

*The DM200 setup was simple, it obtained the ISP settings on its own and all i needed to provide was the username & password then switch it to modem only mode. 

*Turning on the XR500 it went though its start up looking for an internet connectinon..even with the DM200 connected to the internet port on the back It just doesn't see it. I have tried it six different times with no luck in getting the DM200 seen by the XR500.

Thing is I plugged in my ISP supllied moden and it connected to the XR500 with no issue and no need to do any setup outside of the router.

Makes me wonder if the DM200 was starting to go faulty or something.

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Glad to hear it's resolved, sounds like you're using PPPoE so make sure the settings are for always connect on PPPoE.
Message 6 of 10
Auron111
Aspirant

Well the DM200 picked up PPPoE just fine, it connected to the interent and updated the firmeware as it should. Put it into modem mode only and thats where the problem is.

The XR500 just doesn't seam to want to see it even when connected, during the initial it searches for a internet connection but says it can't find it. Then surgests I power cycle the modem and make sure the ethernet cable is connected correctly, I did both yet the XR500 just doesn't want to see the DM200. So for now the DM200 will stay unpluged and tbh I might return it if it can't do its function properly.

The XR500 detected my ISP modem without an issue but the DM200..nope 😞 

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Weird, if you go through the setup wizard anyway and input the details manually in Settings > Internet Setup does it work that way?
Message 8 of 10
Auron111
Aspirant

Sadly no, I put in the same username & password as I did in the DM200 yet the internet light still stay orange. Also tried copying all the information from the modem and see if that would work but no dice.

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's really weird, I'd suggest contacting Netgear's support line regarding the DM200 and see if they can help: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7