× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FIFA on a XR500. how to better my ping?

ernieart
Aspirant

FIFA on a XR500. how to better my ping?

So i mainly play fifa. in fifa in order to get the best gaming experience with less lag as well. you to have low ping. in fifa anything 30 ping or lower gets you into the full 5 bars of connection the game has. i am always hovering around 35-45 ping. so i stay on 4 bars connection instead of the 5 bars i which i have. the closest fifa server is in portland. i live in los angeles. i have set the perimeter to only get the that server. also never let anything else hog away from fifa when using it. have done other things as well but im not a wizard in connectivity. 

this is my first post here. also my first ever gaming router. i know fifa isnt a shooter or other type of game. i got this router in hopes of dropping jus a few ping to get me the 5 bars in game. its very frustarting. 

another thing is lots of timeS i get 5 bars for a second but than it goes away onto a 4 bar connection. This happens when i get into the online match up screen. not sure why that happens. wonder if that intels anything.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Distance is your biggest enemy here because you can't get a closer server in order to get a lower ping. It may not be possible to get a ping under 30 for that server but you will need to use QoS to try and get it as low as possible, what are your expected/paid for speeds and what are your QoS settings?
Message 2 of 11
ernieart
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Distance is your biggest enemy here because you can't get a closer server in order to get a lower ping. It may not be possible to get a ping under 30 for that server but you will need to use QoS to try and get it as low as possible, what are your expected/paid for speeds and what are your QoS settings?

i get 300 down speed. wired as well. all i have done is use the perimeter bubble to reach out to the portland server. i also always turn off anything using speed while playing fifa. these are the main things i do. im not to savvy with the router yet. first tiem user.

Message 3 of 11
ernieart
Aspirant

Also did a trace. not sure if it helps. 

Message 4 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your exact physical setup? Are ALL devices connected to the XR?
Message 5 of 11
ernieart
Aspirant

Hard wired is the PlayStation, Fire cube, main tv (Samsung). WiFi is 2 cellphones, Firestick and Mac. Though I disconnect everything from router. Jus PS4 is hooked up. The tv as well but it isn’t using any download speed when playing.
Message 6 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the XR500 connected to e.g. modem/router and are any other devices connected to that modem/router?
Message 7 of 11
ernieart
Aspirant

Router connected to modem ( Hard wired).Than have hard wired to router the PS4, tv, fire cube.
Message 8 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So it is a pure modem with no other devices connected to it?
Message 9 of 11
ernieart
Aspirant

Yes. Modem from my provider. One cable from modem to router. That’s it.
Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Your trace does show a high ping so not sure how far you'll be able to get it down. What ping do you get direct from the modem?
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7