× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failed to obtain IP Address - XR700

skavenuk
Aspirant

Failed to obtain IP Address - XR700

Just purchased this today. Random wireless devices will not connect on either the 2.4Ghz band or 5Ghz band. For example - my Samsung S10 will receive a "failed to obtain an IP address" when trying to connect.

Log on the router shows this for any device that fails to obtain an address

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.134][Device Name: GALAXY-S10] to MAC address xxxxxxxxxx, Wednesday, May 22, 2019 20:35:15
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Wednesday, May 22, 2019 20:35:15
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Wednesday, May 22, 2019 20:35:15

I've tried updating to the latest firmware V1.0.1.10 and also downgrading to V1.0.0.20 and everything in between but the problem persists. I've also tried other suggestions that people have mentioned in other threads such as changing the DHCP scope from the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100. Quite dissapointing that i've spent $500 on this to have wasted an entire evening trying to get it to work. Appears i'll be taking it back for a refund.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Smart Connect enabled? Try Smart Connect disabled? 

is Beamforming and WMM enabled? Should be. 

Set a IP address reservation for the devices that are not getting a IP address ON the router...

Message 2 of 9
skavenuk
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I tried all of thoes suggestions last night but had the same issue. The only way I could successfully get devices to realiably connect is if I set a static IP for each of them which isn't feasable at all in my environment.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like you have a bad unit. Others are having better operation. You may want to get another one and try. I would use v20 FW on it. Update, factory reset and setup from scratch then connect device. Ya you shouldn't have to set static IPs on devices. 

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On the devices themselves are they set to connect using default/automatic settings? How far away are the devices and have you tried after a factory reset?
Message 5 of 9
skavenuk
Aspirant

Yes, They are all set to default settings. One device was my cell phone (Galaxy S10) which was maybe a meter away from the router when I tried connecting.

Unfortunately I have no further time to troubleshoot this issue. I'm guessing it's a hardware issue (faulty or otherwise) as it really should not take this much effort for a $500 consumer piece of equiptment to setup (And I actually work in I.T.) so i've gone and returned it to the store.

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the information, totally understand, did you get a replacement or just returned it?
Message 7 of 9
skavenuk
Aspirant

Unfortuantely I just returned as they did not have another one in stock.

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, we hope you'll consider the router again in future as we think you'll love it once your issue has been resolved.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7