× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fast LAN/Slow Wifi on XR450

Fast LAN/Slow Wifi on XR450

Hello,

I have a XR450 wifi router connecting to the Arris modem provided by Spectrum. I checked and compare the speed on various sites. When I test my computer by hooking up wired LAN, the speed is around 90 Mbps. However, when I switch it to WiFi, it is only 50 Mbps. Everything setup with default settings. Do I need to do anything in the settings to twist the performance? I did updated the firmware, factory reset but those methods didn't work. Please give me advice.

Thank you

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions

I finally found out the reason!

I didn't setup 2Ghz and 5Ghz radio frequency separately. Now when I connect to the 5Ghz one, I got over 200Mbps. With the 2Ghz, it is only 50Mbps at best. Didn't think that it is not automatically switch radio.

Thank you for all your helps.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 22

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Wirelesss speedtesting is hard to judge. Its good for an inicator but so many factors can influence speed from housing materials, wireless interference, bands you're broadcasting on, device you're using, and even the firmware on your router.

What band are you connecting to? The 2.4ghz band has lower throughput but better range and penetration. The 5ghz has much higher throughput but won't penetrate as much or go as far. The other though is the 5ghz has the option of the DFS channels. Not all devices support these channels so if you're using them, your phone/wireless device might not be.

And how are you testing? (aka what device and website are you testing with)

Firmware on the router?

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What speeds UP and Down do you pay for from your ISP? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM.

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

What wifi devices are you speed testing with? 

@caseydang0407 wrote:

Hello,

I have a XR450 wifi router connecting to the Arris modem provided by Spectrum. I checked and compare the speed on various sites. When I test my computer by hooking up wired LAN, the speed is around 90 Mbps. However, when I switch it to WiFi, it is only 50 Mbps. Everything setup with default settings. Do I need to do anything in the settings to twist the performance? I did updated the firmware, factory reset but those methods didn't work. Please give me advice.

Thank you

Message 3 of 22

More information:

- I tested on wired/wifi (Arris Modem TM1602A provided by Spectrum/XR450) on various devices (Laptop, Galaxy Tab S4, Iphone 8, Samsung S9, Macbook Pro 2018) run on both 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz

- Firmware version V2.3.2.56 (Up to date as it stated)

- Ipv6 disabled

- 9 Neighbour wifi around

- Beamforming and MIMO and WMM enabled.

- Channels Auto

Updated:

- Interesting thing is I ran the Wizard Setup on XR450 and it perceived the down speed is 213.5 Mbps. Also confirmed with Spectrum representatives that their test speed on Modem also around 210 Mbps.

- However, the real speed tested on multiple devices I mentioned are still 40 Mbps down for Wifi, and 90 Mbps down on wired modem itself. Up is around 11 Mbps on both.

- Spectrum asked me if I want a technician to come to take a look. If there is no issue on their end, they will charge $50. I refused because it is ridiculous.

Do you guys have any idea? The Netgear XR450 wifi router perceived the speed is 213.5 Mbps down, but real speed is much slower on both modem (wired) and XR450 router (wireless).

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you confirm that your getting to spec speeds via wired PC? 

Is Smart Connect enabled on the XR router? 

Was a factory reset performed after last FW update and setup from scratch? 

Seems like this is a XR wifi issue and not a ISP or Modem issue if wired speeds are good. 

Message 6 of 22

Yes the test is performed on both wired and wireless.

Wired directly from the modem. Wireless from the XR450. Both slower than what they should be.

The Smart Connection enabled.

I factory resetted after FW updated. I check FW update again and it is up-to-date.

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Is QoS enabled? If so, disable QoS and Anti BufferBloat and save the setting, reboot both modem, router and PC and test speeds again. 

So at the modem you get over 200Mbps, and at the XR router wired you only see way less. 

Can you check with your wired PC to see the connection rate between the PCs network adapter card and the XR router? Should be 1000Mbps

Message 8 of 22

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is QoS enabled? If so, disable QoS and Anti BufferBloat and save the setting, reboot both modem, router and PC and test speeds again. 

So at the modem you get over 200Mbps, and at the XR router wired you only see way less. 

Can you check with your wired PC to see the connection rate between the PCs network adapter card and the XR router? Should be 1000Mbps

I tried enable and disable QoS & Anti BufferBloat. They yielded the same results. Nothing changed.

No, I mean the over 200 Mbps is popped up when I first set up the router (new/fresh setup).

It showed up at 1:15 at this video. (Look like that but over 200 Mbps)

And it is Spectrum advertised speed. I asked Spectrum to run some test to see what speed do they get (online support). They said their run test is over 200 Mbps too.

The wired PC from the Arris Modem is 80 Mbps, and the Laptop I connected via wifi of the XR router is 40 Mbps. Which are way far less than the speed it should be.

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So your only getting 80Mbps with a wired PC directly behind the modem? This would not be good. Do you have another wired PC to test with the modem directly? Either the network adapter on this PC isn't getting 1000Mb connection rate at the modem or it's getting 100Mbps which would result in what your seeing with 80Mbps with a wired PC at the modem. 

So this is possible a bad cable, bad adapter on the PC or not configured correctly or possible bad LAN port at the modem.

Message 10 of 22

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So your only getting 80Mbps with a wired PC directly behind the modem? This would not be good. Do you have another wired PC to test with the modem directly? Either the network adapter on this PC isn't getting 1000Mb connection rate at the modem or it's getting 100Mbps which would result in what your seeing with 80Mbps with a wired PC at the modem. 

So this is possible a bad cable, bad adapter on the PC or not configured correctly or possible bad LAN port at the modem.

Do you have any video or source that help me to config the modem or the router properly? I don't think I can't login the modem to config anything.

192.168.100.1 is the only IP address I can access as the screenshots.
Either 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 are unable to accessed.

Message 11 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would look at the ethernet cables you're using, that may not allow over 100mbps. What ethernet cables do you have?
Message 12 of 22

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I would look at the ethernet cables you're using, that may not allow over 100mbps. What ethernet cables do you have?

I used the cat5e provided by spectrum. Also I tried to switch to the one that is in XR450 but still the same.

Message 13 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you able to try a different modem to the one you have to see if you see the correct speeds then?
Message 14 of 22

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Are you able to try a different modem to the one you have to see if you see the correct speeds then?

Too bad that's the only modem that I have 😞

Message 15 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Perhaps ask the ISP if they can change the modem. If possible you could buy one, test it and then return it, if it works then ISP should definitely replace the modem.
Message 16 of 22

What modem do you recommend? I'm using Spectrum now.

Message 17 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We don't have any specific ones that we recommend, as long as they can support the speeds from your ISP then it should be fine. Other users here may have some suggestions.
Message 18 of 22

I finally found out the reason!

I didn't setup 2Ghz and 5Ghz radio frequency separately. Now when I connect to the 5Ghz one, I got over 200Mbps. With the 2Ghz, it is only 50Mbps at best. Didn't think that it is not automatically switch radio.

Thank you for all your helps.

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like your device likes to connect to 2.4Ghz rather then 5Ghz when Smart Connect is enabled. 

Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 22

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sounds like your device likes to connect to 2.4Ghz rather then 5Ghz when Smart Connect is enabled. 

Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

It's weird that all devices connect to 2.4Ghz rather than 5Ghz although they are 5Ghz capable.

Whatever, it was a experience and a way for people who are struggle, troubleshoot their router.

Thank you for your support.

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements