× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feature Request: USB Printers

OlegP
Apprentice

Feature Request: USB Printers

Please concider adding the ability to add a USB printer without the use of the ReadyShare software in your next firmware update.

Other brand routers allow you to simply add a printer to a computer by using the Add Printer command in the Control Panel>Devices and Printers and then pointing the utility to the 192.168.1.1 address of the router. In addition, they also offer their custom utility similar to ReadyShare, but in my own personal experience I’ve always had a better experience adding a shared USB printer thru Windows and sometimes even Linux itself. It has always been more stable and reliable versus having to rely on the printer sharing software from the router manufacturer.

I’m not saying to get rid of the printer Ready Share feature entirely, just please consider adding in the ability to allow us to add a printer without having to install ReadyShare on all computers. Please.

Thank you.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

As a suggestion, one can get a print server device and connect up the USB printer to this print server which can be either wireless or ethernet conencted to the network for easy of access to a USB printer.

Message 2 of 7
OlegP
Apprentice

Since I'm using all 4 Ethernet ports already that would mean that I'd have to purchase a switch and a print server, even though with a small tweak to the router's software I could use the USB ports on the router as intended.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully they will. May take longer than expected for that to happen. Suggestions would be much quicker...

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 7
OlegP
Apprentice

Do you know if Netgear actually check these forum posts themselves or am I just wasting my time?

I’ve posted twice now about 2 separate issues and haven’t even heard a peep from them.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

The usability of a single direction simple printer access ie. by LPR or Microsoft SAMBA printing is not sufficient for many modern printers drivers requirements.

The software Netgear does provide is creating a virtual USB port, permitting to use any kind of printer, including bi-directional communication, multi-function devices like scanners and much more - just like a USB printer connected direct to the computer. Ways ahead, and much less cumbersome (if it's installable and workable) than any simple remote printer protocol for consumers.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You can post here about it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

You'll generally not see anything from NG officially. They supposedly do review that exchange threads for ideas and requests there.

@OlegP wrote:

Do you know if Netgear actually check these forum posts themselves or am I just wasting my time?

I’ve posted twice now about 2 separate issues and haven’t even heard a peep from them.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7