× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feature requests for XR500

Naxterra
Apprentice

Feature requests for XR500

Hello

After using this lovely device I have several suggestions to improve it. Not sure how many of them can be done, but anyways here I go.

- Integration with security products, like Bitdefender, Norton, Trend Micro, etc. So most of the viruses, malwares, spams, etc can be stopped before reaching my devices.

- Device management improvements. It is pretty much useless at the moment. I think it saves every device which tries to connect my networks. I am pretty sure my passwords are strong and not possible to get connection from 40+ devices into my network within one week as unknown devices. Another thing, sections can be separated. Like currently online devices in one section, connected devices but currently online ones in another folder, and blocked devices in another folder.

- Bandwith management. Automatic speedtest and pingtest to find best speed available from time to time. 

- QoS improvement. Remove blocked and unknown devices from it. Add more programs and games to the default list. Also bandwith allocation circle needs improvements, like I have 10 devices. I try to move 7 of them to 0 bandwith because I don't want them to download or upload anything. If I try to do that, QoS app automatically increases values of others, even which I set to 0 ones. 

- Network monitoring. Snapshot is good but is it possible to implement something with history? For example I want to see which device downloaded / uploaded how much MB/GB and to which sites.

- Security improvements. First user management. I want to rename current "admin" user, and add additional users. For example one user can only do monitoring and check logs, one user only set bandwith and QoS options, one user only able to administer device without touching network settings. Second one is default protection level. I am seeing lots of DDoS ACK port scans. Most of them are fake but still I am getting error log about it. Also email notification is not working properly. I am using outlook.com domain and currently it is not usable for device.

- Content filtering. Adding categories would be helpful. If possible partnering with Forcepoint or Untangle will make this easier.

- VPN service. Needs more known providers. At the moment I see only HmA. Also I want to use my own VPN which is hosted in VPS like in Amazon AWS/ECS, Microsoft Azure or Digital Ocean. 

- Port forwarding. Can you add more up to date content to predefined list? I am pretty sure no one is using Quake II or Real-Audio these days 🙂

- DHCP server. I need option to run it as a secondary server. I want another server as primary DHCP server, like my Windows Server or Linux Server or even another router and XR500 can act as a backup. 

- Guest network. Idea is good but I also need bandwith limitation on guests. Even though I am a home user, I don't want anyone to leech my internet connection freely. Also I want to restrict their accessible sites and services. Like they will be access their emails, check newspapers but won't be able to download phone updates or download games, use torrents, etc.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions. Some of them are being worked on already but quite a few of them I can see not being implemented or not being implemented for quite awhile. I'll add them all to our request list though!
Message 2 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They are actually integrated together, that is not at all accurate.
Message 3 of 11
Naxterra
Apprentice

Feature request: Grant SSH access (ability to change port and also disabling password, allowing only certificate based authentication for more security) and ability configure XR500 as SFTP to access my USB disk. I can configure Dynamic DNS on my router but it would be good if I can access my USB disk connected to router from outside my network with a secure way.

Message 4 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This one is unlikely, as DumaOS isn't open source I doubt we'd want people to be tinkering with the backend. I'll float the idea to the team though.
Message 5 of 11
Naxterra
Apprentice

Firewall request; Ability to block computers via hostname and MAC addresses. If possible, ability to enter multiple entries at once. For example I have now 90 unknown devices in my device manager list. I want to block them all and forbid them even trying to access my network.

Content filtering improvement; Ability to block IP addresses.

Message 6 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've added them to the list, thanks!
Message 7 of 11
Phoenix1776
Tutor

Features request:

1)  Usage history instead of just real time reporting.

2)  More details about what is using the internet and going through the router.  i.e specific names of software rather than the generics I am seeing in Dumo OS.  Having used ASUS software, the details and history are key to understanding and troubleshooting issues.  I am not home during the day and my wife is and works from home (she's not a tech person) so when she compalins about something on our network,  these features are needed. 

3) More device types for the drop down list in device manager.  Common ones such as Roku, Chromecast, PS4, Xbox, Extender,  adapter, etc are not listed.

4)  Device manager needs to list all IP addresses of devices on network.  This is not happening for devices using ethernet behind MOCA adapters and ASUS routers could show the IP addresses.  The Nighthawk app has too many issues to be of much help in these areas as well. 

5) When I set bandwith parameters for devices these dont stay fixed. Everytime a new device is added, including a guest with a phone, the bandwith gets redsitriubted. Should be a button to lock certain devices, say if I set one to use 20%. don't recalculate everytime a new device hits the network. 

Message 8 of 11
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Phoenix1776,

Thank you for your suggestions. We will review your idea for consideration. :]

- Jason N

Message 9 of 11
Naxterra
Apprentice

One more suggestion;

Please improve mobile webpage of routerlogin.net. It is not usable from phones. I tried with Safari and Chrome on my iPhone 7 Plus (11.4)

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We're not focusing on UI for mobile devices at the moment, purely for the fact that we'll probably be making an app somewhere down the line
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7