× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 1.0.0.64 and nighthawk xr1000

Chook885
Aspirant

Firmware 1.0.0.64 and nighthawk xr1000

I've just purchased a nighthawk xr1000 and had constant issues from the start with devices unable to connect to wifi connection. There was a time where lan connections weren't working either.

I downgraded firmware to 1.0.0 58 and its working fine now. Is there a known issue with the 1.0.0.64 firmware and nighthawk xr1000 that is currently being looked at?
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Would need more information about the problems your seeing with wifi connections before thinking this is a FW issue. Not everyone sees same issues you may see. 

What devices do you have connected? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

I saw no wifi issues with my XR1000 when I had it online last year with this version of FW. Ran great for me:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/New-XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-64-R...

Message 2 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There isn't a specific issue like that isolated to that firmware version no. Could be a few things, some good advice above, in addition depending on your devices they may not like Smart Connect. Also switch the mode for 5GHz to 2400Mbps instead.
Message 3 of 11
Chook885
Aspirant

So here's a detailed run down of events:

- set up the new router and it went through a firmware update

- very erratic wifi with multiple devices including my phone and partners phone not being able to connect. It would sometimes work and it would sometimes not. 

- I thought i had got everything set up fine and then i activated smart connect before heading to bed and at 3am got awoken by one of my smart device notifications saying it's offline.

- checked the router and something went haywire, seemed to do a factory reset of itself or something. 

- i use the pin, did factory reset, reconfigured again and then was able to connect most of my smart devices and thought that was done but next morning, i hear another alarm from my security cameras which are on Lan connection and see that they're offline. Not able to get an IP and i can't seem to connect to the wifi on 2 x phones, ipad, alexa... etc. 

- I put my old wireless router back and everything works fine so to me this tells me it's the router. 

- I then do a factory reset and can't seem to connect again to the wifi so i call netgear support. 

- Netgear support tell me to roll back the firmware and that it's a known issue and they have tech's working on the update, however i believe this was just words to stop me from refunding the item. 

- Since rolling back the firmware, everything has been running smoothly with no issues at all so with all the steps taken, i feel it's pretty clear it was the firmware. I thought i was going mad as i just couldn't explain this erratic behaviour

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be great if you could give feed back to the questions presented. 

Do you have any apple and or android devices? 

Message 5 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for all the information, really glad to hear rolling back did in fact resolve the issue for you, looks like as you said something Netgear are looking into!
Message 6 of 11
Chook885
Aspirant

it's a shame though that i can't run the most updated firmware with my new device. You guys didn't seem like you were aware of this issue too which makes me question the advice netgear gave me. When will i know when it's safe to upgrade the firmware?

Message 7 of 11
Chook885
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 - i have both android and apple devices which both couldn't connect to the wifi. i know you had a lot of questions but if you look at my summary i shared, it's pretty clear it's firmware issue. 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I did. I also have Apple and Android devices and don't exhibit this issue with this version of FW loaded on my XR. Zero problems for these devices. Ran very well for me last year when I had it online last Nov:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/New-XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-64-R... 

I guess you'll need to wait for next FW update then to see if it fixes your issues. 

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Netduma (me/us) work on the DumaOS aspect and Netgear are hardware/the main settings pages, WiFi etc so it's not unusual for them to have a bug we're not aware of or vice versa if we haven't yet had a meeting surrounding the latest bugs on either side. Once a new firmware is released you can upgrade, you'll see it on the forum most likely.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if this could be a MAC Address randomizer issue as well. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7