× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware V2.3.2.32 Broke "Add Device" for "Traffic Prioritization"

ngearftard
Luminary

Firmware V2.3.2.32 Broke "Add Device" for "Traffic Prioritization"

Since Netgear broke QoS on the R7000 (download bandwidth limited to upload bandwidth even when the speed test detects drastically different speeds for each, hurr durr durr) (what, a year ago?) (when it rolled out "Dynamic QoS") and never bothered to fix it (people will just buy a newer router, right?), figured I'd invest in the latest-greatest QoS with the XR500, because:

(1) it does deep packet inspection and can detect "most games"

(2) if it happens not to detect YOUR GAME you can add a device and the related ports manually.

So right out of the box, after spending 300 USD and installing it today, the XR500 didn't detect the first game I tried, "Tom Clancy's The Division." Figured I'd manually add my device and the required ports via the customization options in the UI. What I got upon attempting this was a nasty looking error discussed at length in this Duma thread:

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26116-error-in-add-device-on-traffic-priorization-new-firmware-v23232...

Rolling back the firmware doesn't fix the issue.

Per the above-linked thread, it's Duma's bug, but they've since fixed it with the latest version of DumaOS; however, we're at the mercy of Netgear, because the DumaOS fix has to be paired and rolled out with an XR500 firmware update.

Supposedly the current firmware version took 3 months to roll out. So here are a few of questions for Netgear:

(1) Is a firmware update that fixes this issue pending? (Not holding my breath. If Netgear could care less about breaking the R7000's QoS, why would it care about breaking this one.)

(2) If one is pending, will it be another 3 months? If so, I'm taking it back, because QoS that actually works is the whole reason I bought it, and I'm not waiting 3 months to get what was paid for.

(3) Does an actual person look at and test this stuff before it's put out?

Call me misanthropic, but, after spending $300 on what WAS a state of the art machine y'all managed to break on the firmware side right before this fool bought it, a mere 6 months after the device was released, pretty disgusted right now.

In fact, with this being the 4th Netgear machine I've bought over the years with human-induced-obsolescence issues, you'd think I'd learn.

Starting to see a pattern here.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: Firmware V2.3.2.32 Broke "Add Device" for "Traffic Prioritization"

Hi - completely understand your frustration. To answer your questions:

1. It's already been fixed in our latest build, so not a permanent issue
  2. No, the next one should be faster because this was an intermediary maintenance fix
  3. All firmware updates go through a lot of testing (one reason the last one has taken a while), but saying that this one is on us. Not sure how we missed this in testing but we did.

I have sent you a PM.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi - completely understand your frustration. To answer your questions:

1. It's already been fixed in our latest build, so not a permanent issue
  2. No, the next one should be faster because this was an intermediary maintenance fix
  3. All firmware updates go through a lot of testing (one reason the last one has taken a while), but saying that this one is on us. Not sure how we missed this in testing but we did.

I have sent you a PM.

Message 2 of 4
ngearftard
Luminary

Thanks very much for the prompt reply, and your PM. Marked your post as the solution.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I've just responded to your question in the other thread. Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7